Close Date: Continuous
Salary: $75,691.00 - $95,846.00 Annually
City of San Jose
Planning, Building and Code Enforcement Department
Associate Engineer (Plan Check)
About the Department
The City of San José, the Capital of Silicon Valley, is one of the nation's best managed cities and one of the top ten cities in which to live, work, and do business. Moreover, San José is the center of cultural, government and economic activity for the region. The employees of the City of San José have embraced the following values: Integrity, Innovation, Excellence, Collaboration, Respect and Celebration.
The City's Planning, Building and Code Enforcement Department is seeking an individual whose values align with the values of the City's employees.
The Planning, Building and Code Enforcement Department's mission is to facilitate the preservation and building of a safe, attractive, vibrant and sustainable San José through partnership with and exceptional service to our diverse communities and customers.
Position and Duties
The Department is currently recruiting to fill two Associate Engineer (Plan Check) positions in the Plan Review Services Division with duties include, but are not limited to:
- Advising professional engineers, architects and others concerning code requirements, engineering and planning problems arising in the preliminary design of buildings and structures.
- Examining plans, calculations and specifications for residential, commercial, industrial and apartment buildings, including complex major structures for structural adequacy, zoning and general compliance with governing laws, codes, ordinances and regulations.
- Making independent engineering analyses on proposed buildings when required to justify the structural safety of design.
- Working closely with and giving information to professional engineers, architects, contractors and the general public regarding building code, zoning and general requirements concerning buildings and structures.
- Issuing permits after review of plans.
- Advising building inspectors on structural and miscellaneous fire and life-safety challenges arising in the field during the construction of a building project.
- Instructing inspectors and technicians in the review of simple building plans.
- Conducting safety assessments of older buildings and assisting in enforcing compliance with the Citys Disaster Response plan.
- Performing observational review of critical structural elements of the projects under construction.
Any combination of training and experience equivalent to:
- Education: A Bachelors Degree from an accredited college or university in Architectural, Civil, Structural Engineering, or Architecture or a closely related field (e.g. Construction Management)
- Experience: Associate Engineers working in the Building Division as Plan Check Engineers must have four (4) years of progressively responsible experience in professional civil engineering work with at least two (2) years of practical experience in design and construction of buildings. Two (2) years of the four (4) years total experience must be after registration. EIT certificate is not acceptable as replacement for the required Bachelors degree.
- Licenses or Certificates: Registered as a Civil Engineer with the California Board of Registration for Civil and Professional Engineers (candidates are required to submit proof of registration when applying), valid California drivers license.
- Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will not prepare or file a labor condition application with the Department of Labor.
The ideal candidate will possess the following competencies, as demonstrated in past and current employment history. Desirable competencies for this position include:
- Job Expertise - demonstrates knowledge of and experience with applicable professional/technical principles and practices, Citywide and departmental procedures/policies and federal and state rules and regulations.
- Analytical Thinking - approaches a situation or problem by defining the problem or issue; identifies a set of features, parameters, or considerations to take into account, collects and analyzes data, uses logic and intuition to arrive at conclusions and recommendations.
- Communication Skills - communicates and listens effectively and responds in an timely, effective, positive and respectful manner; written reports and correspondence are accurate, complete, current; well-organized, legible, concise, neat, and in proper grammatical form.
- Computer Skills - experience with common business computer applications including but not limited to: MS Outlook, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, MS Access, and MS Excel.
- Customer Service - approaches problem-solving by focusing on customers first; advocates for customer results point of view; demonstrates the ability to anticipate customers' needs and deliver services effectively and efficiently in a timely, accurate, and respectful manner.
- Initiative - exhibits self directed, resourceful and creative behaviors toward meeting job objectives; anticipates problems, is proactive, and avoids difficulties by planning ahead; displays willingness to assume extra responsibility or workload and accept challenges; pursue continuing educational opportunities which promote enhanced job performance.
- Management - evaluates priorities to ensure that they are handled satisfactorily; sets clear goals for the employees and the work unit.
- Problem Solving - approaches a situation or problem by defining the problem or issue; determines the significance of problem(s); collects information; uses logic and intuition to arrive at decisions or solutions to problems that achieve the desired outcome.
- Reliability - completes quality work assignments in a timely and efficient manner; fulfills responsibilities and maintains confidentiality as appropriate.
- Team Work & Interpersonal Skills - demonstrates a positive attitude and flexibility along with the ability to develop effective relationships with co-workers and supervisors by helping others accomplish tasks and using collaboration and conflict resolution skills.