Close Date: Nov 8, 2012
Salary: $17.63 - $21.43 Hourly
Final filing date: Open Until Filled (Supplemental Questionnaire Required)
About the Position
This position is part-time, less than 20 hours per week. Flexible hours, may include some evenings and weekends.
This position is responsible for creating and maintaining a city-wide volunteer program which includes volunteer recruitment and outreach, placement, training and orientation; volunteer supervision and recognition; maintaining volunteer records.
· Plans, organizes, coordinates and directs specialized volunteer programs
· Maintains required records, including program statistics.
· Oversees the work of volunteers
· Work with Adult Community Center and Youth Center site supervisors to identify volunteer openings and recruitment needs
· Network with RSVP, San Carlos Service Clubs, and other volunteer organizations
· Interview prospective volunteers
· Provide volunteer/site orientations
· Maintain volunteer manuals
· Direct supervision of special event volunteers as needed
· Work with city staff to plan an annual volunteer recognition event
· Prepare annual report of volunteer activity
Job-Related and Essential Qualifications
Knowledge of City services and programs; principles and practices of volunteer coordination.
Ability and skills to organize people and activities; work effectively with adults and children; make small group presentations; comprehend and follow oral and written instructions; provide leadership to volunteers and coordinating staff; implement program plans; ability to function independently. Establish, maintain and foster cooperative working relations with others contacted in the course of work. Computer proficient in Microsoft Office.
Education and Training
Sufficient education and experience to satisfactorily perform the duties of this classification. A typical qualifying background would be graduation from high school, and 500 hours experience as either a Recreation Leader II at the City of San Carlos or 500 hours at an equivalent classification in another municipality, or related agency. Previous volunteer coordination experience desirable.
Speak clearly and understandably; lift and move equipment, such as tables and chairs. Willingness and ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends.
Licenses and Certifications
Possession of an appropriate California driver's license issued by the State Department of Motor Vehicles.