Close Date: May 31, 2013
Salary: $40.58 - $49.32 Hourly
The City of Milpitas is seeking a temporary Building Inspector for a minimum of 1 year to inspect routine and complex structural building systems at various stages of construction, alteration, and repair to assure compliance with California Building Codes, Federal and State regulations and City standards.
Example of Duties: Duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Complete and maintain a variety of records on a computer, prepare reports, documentation, and correspondence.
- Conduct inspections to determine code deficiencies compliance with the California Building Code and pertinent provisions of County Health and environmental ordinances.
- Create and revise housing rehabilitation project work estimates; participate in contractor's bid process and bid review.
- Oversee and monitor rehabilitation projects to ensure work meets HUD requirements.
- Confer with developers, contractors, architects, engineers, and the general public.
- Inspect a large variety of complex and routine structural building system elements.
- Perform field review of plans and specifications.
- Apply proper inspection techniques to examine the quality of work and materials and detect deviations from plans, regulations, and standard construction practices.
Education and Training:
Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade and a minimum three years of responsible experience in the journey level trades or as a contractor in a variety of building construction activities, including experience as a building inspector.
Certification as a Building Inspector by ICC. Additional ICC certifications are highly desirable.
Possession of a valid California Driver’s License and reliable transportation with proof of current auto insurance.
Technical: Safety polices, training and communication. Construction methods, materials and construction inspection skills. Project management skills.
Client: Understand client goals, client’s business, effective client relationships.
Ability: To effectively manage time and work independently, professionally and effectively interact with a variety of individuals.
You may visit the City of Milpitas website at www.ci.milpitas.ca.gov or www.CalOpps.org. Only online applications via CalOpps will be accepted. This recruitment is open until filled. The City reserves the right to close or re-open the recruitment at any time. Only those candidates most qualified will be invited to an interview.
The City of Milpitas is an Equal Opportunity/ADA employer. Reasonable accommodation in the application and selection process will be made upon request. The information contained in this announcement does not constitute either an expressed or implied contract and these provisions are subject to change.