Close Date: Nov 21, 2012
Salary: $4,785.00 - $5,816.00 Monthly
The City of San Rafael is recruiting for a Police Communications Dispatcher. This position operates police radio communication equipment to communicate with the public and police. This position receives, interprets, and transmits information essential to the delivery of emergency and non-emergency police services.
This position performs the following essential job duties:
- Monitors local emergency services radio transmissions; maintains contact and monitors status of field units; monitors the county mutual aid channel.
- Responds to emergency phone lines, including calls to and from fire department, alarm companies, and tow companies.
- Prioritizes needs of difficult callers, including hysterical victims, incoherent persons and suicidal subjects; assesses and evaluates emergency situations.
- Enters calls for service information into the CAD system, including type, location, nature and description of event; enters all field unit transmissions.
- Enters information into automated systems, including temporary warrants, missing persons, property, stolen vehicles, domestic violence restraining orders and firearms; searches various databases and automated systems in response to information requests.
- Performs a variety of clerical duties, including photocopying, completing forms and maintaining records; receives and responds to document requests for warrants and DMV printouts.
- Operates a variety of specialized equipment related to dispatch work.
- Answers front office non-emergency lines after hours.
- Informs on-duty shift Sergeant of street activity and pending calls for service.
- May train and evaluate new employees.
- Performs related duties as required.
To be eligible for this position you must have knowledge of:
- CAD procedures
- Police dispatch radio and phone equipment
- FCC regulations
- City and Department policies and procedures
- Information technology, personal computers and related software applications
- Use of reference maps and code manuals
- Civil and criminal codes
To be eligible for this position you must possess the ability to:
- Operate a variety of police specific and general office equipment
- Accurately dispatch personnel and equipment.
- Speak and think clearly in emergency situations
- Listen and ascertain relevant information quickly and accurately
- Understand and carry out complex oral and written instructions
- Deal tactfully and courteously with the public
- Classify and prioritize service requests
- Establish and maintain cooperative relationships with the public and fellow employees
Education and Experience:
Candidates must have a high school diploma or general education degree (GED) and one year of paid full time experience in public safety (Police, Fire, or Ambulance) dispatcher experience.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to adjust focus.
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCESS:
City of San Rafael application and supplemental questionnaire are required. Resumes do not substitute for the City application. Candidates are encouraged to detail any related education and experience on the application since this information will be used to determine who will be invited to participate in the next phase of the examination process. The examination process developed specifically for this recruitment will consist of any or all of the following: application appraisal, written objective examination, oral board interview examination and/or performance examination. Note: Prior to appointment, candidate must submit to and pass a P.O.S.T. approved background investigation and lie detector examination. On a conditional job offer the candidate must complete and pass a pre-placement medical examination, including drug screening prior to appointment.
Reasonable Accommodation: The City of San Rafael will make reasonable accommodations in the exam process to accommodate disabled applicants. If you have a disability for which you require an accommodation, please contact us at (415) 485-3063 no later than seven (7) calendar days before the exam date.