Close Date: Dec 17, 2012
Salary: $3,694.00 - $4,978.00 Monthly
SCHOOL PROGRAM COORDINATOR
Recreation Services Department
Town of Danville
TOWN OF DANVILLE APPLICATION REQUIRED
RESUMES ALONE WILL NOT BE PROCESSED
Position Closing Date: December 17, 2012 at 5:00 pm
The current salary range for this 37.5 hours/week benefitted position is $3,694 – 4,978 per month.
The School Program Coordinator plans, implements and evaluates programs, services and events for elementary school students and their families in the areas of making responsible choices and developing life skills. The position also serves as a representative to enhance the relationship between the Town and the School District and community-at-large.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Works jointly between the Recreation Services Department and the Police Services Department. General supervision from the Recreation Services Manager with support from Police Services Department personnel. Provides direct supervision to other program personnel and volunteers, as needed.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
* Partner with the San Ramon Valley Unified School District in developing and implementing educational programs for elementary school students that promote responsible decision-making, development of positive and productive life skills particularly related to tobacco, alcohol and drug resistance, and knowledge of personal safety strategies; develop and provide presentations for teachers and parents; attend school and community special events, as needed.
* Represent the Town, and especially the Police Services Department, to citizens, school and parent groups, and community organizations; serve in a liaison role, as assigned.
* Provide education to Danville families, youth and parent groups and schools related to positive youth development and appropriate behavior; provide training to school staff regarding their role in emergency situations on campus and children’s safety.
* Collaborate with the Recreation Services Department Program Coordinators serving youth and teens in identifying the needs of elementary students and their families that can be met through current or future Town programs and services; jointly develop and implement programs, services and events for Danville youth and their families; provide training in areas of expertise to other Town staff.
* Provide support services and referrals to youth exhibiting pre-criminal behavior.
* Assist in police investigations involving juveniles, as assigned.
* Prepare correspondence and public information in a variety of forms.
* Maintain accurate records and compile program information and data; contribute to periodic and annual Town reports.
* Work a flexible schedule, including nights and weekends, as needed.
* Perform other duties, as assigned.
* Child and adolescent development; contemporary issues facing youth.
* Leadership group dynamics, facilitation, teaching/training and interviewing concepts and techniques.
* Principles and practices of recreation programming.
* School, government and penal codes; law enforcement procedures relating to juveniles.
* Effectively develop, implement and evaluate innovative programs.
* Demonstrate effective oral and written communication skills; develop positive relationships with program participants, the general public, and Town and School District officials.
* Serve as a role model and advocate for children and youth.
* Successfully pass a background check including D.O.J. fingerprinting and reference checks.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
Any combination of experience and education that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Experience: Minimum three (3) years full-time related professional experience or any combination of such full-time experience and part-time experience. Background in law enforcement is desired.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Justice Administration, Education, Counseling, Child/Youth Development, Psychology or other related field; equivalent combination of education and experience to effectively perform the essential duties of the position.
Licenses: Possession of a valid California State Driver’s License; First Aid and CPR certification.
Appointment to the position will be contingent upon:
Appropriate clearance from background checks and fingerprinting.
Qualified persons interested in applying for this position should submit a Town Employment application form and resume to: Town of Danville, Attention: Human Resources Department, 510 La Gonda Way, Danville, CA 94526.
Applications will be reviewed by a screening committee after the application submission deadline. The most qualified applicants will be invited to participate in an assessment center that may consist of technical, written and oral portions. The Assessment Center is scheduled for January 11, 2013 from approximately 9:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.. The appointee will be selected from among those determined to be the best qualified.
In accordance with the Federal Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), if special accommodations are necessary at any stage of the selection process, please contact the Human Resources Manager at 925/314-3376.
FINAL FILING DATE:
Monday, December 17, 2012 at 5:00 p.m.
The information contained in this announcement is subject to change and does not constitute either an expressed or implied contract. Prior to appointment it will be necessary to provide proof of United States Citizenship or authorization to work in the United States. The Town of Danville is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Employees of the Town receive a fixed allotment for medical and dental and may choose from a Kaiser or HealthNet HMO and Delta Dental plan. The Town provides both short term and long-term disability insurance and term life insurance.
Vacation/Sick Leave (General Leave):
20 working days/year the first year;
22 working days/year after 1 year;
27 working days/year after 5 years;
30 working days/year after 9 years.
The Town provides a 401(a) pension plan and a 457 deferred compensation program administered by Lincoln Financial Advisors. Employees will be 20% vested in the amounts contributed by the Town to their 401(a) pension plan after the completion of one year and an additional 20% per year thereafter until fully vested at the end of five years uninterrupted employment. Note: The Town does not participate in State Disability Insurance or Social Security, except for Federal Medicare Insurance.
Located approximately 40 miles east of San Francisco, Danville is located in the center of the San Ramon Valley. Comprising 20 square miles at the foot of Mount Diablo, Danville features quality housing, a progressive educational system, and a historic downtown village. Danville's current population is 42,215 (1/11). The San Ramon Valley, part of the growing I-680 corridor, has become a popular location for professional and retail complexes, light industry, as well as convenient, yet secluded, living.