Close Date: Mar 20, 2013
Salary: $28.75 - $34.95 Hourly
NATURE OF POSITION
A Public Safety Dispatcher performs non-sworn police work and support duties involved in public safety dispatch and communications; receives emergency and non-emergency calls and dispatches assignments according to established procedures; performs other related work as required. This is a specialized non-sworn class that provides technical communications support and computer information processing in support of emergency service provision including police, animal control, parking enforcement, limited public works functions, and other City services. Performs a variety of other duties in support of public safety information and communications functions. Incumbents are able to perform the full range of duties assigned with only occasional instructions or assistance as unusual or unique situations arise and are fully aware of operating policies and procedures. May, on an occasional and temporary basis, be assigned duties normally performed by other non-sworn uniformed employees. There are currently two vacancies in the Communications Center.
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES
- Dispatches emergency and non-emergency police personnel in response to calls for service; receives information, questions and requests for service; determines nature and priority of calls for service, routes calls as needed and dispatches appropriate units for response.
- Handles inquiries involving public emergencies; recognizes sensitive information and handles accordingly; provides information to field units, other agencies and the public.
- Alerts other agencies and coordinates mutual response radio traffic and information distribution.
- Operates computer aided dispatch system and other telecommunications devices; performs routine equipment testing, upkeep and maintenance.
- Operates computer equipment using designated systems and programs such as word processing, desktop publishing, databases and spreadsheets; makes inquiries and entries through local, State and Federal computer information systems.
- Sends, receives and routes a variety of law enforcement reports, warrants and other materials.
- Reviews and records case information; maintains logs and records including automated record files; prepares reports and other related forms and records.
- May assist in training new dispatchers and participate in various Police Department activities and operations as assigned.
Possession of the employment standards does not assure advancement to the Examination or placement of the Eligible List. This is a competitive exam where a candidate's performance in the Examination will be judged in comparison with the performance of other candidates. To be considered, applicants should possess the combination of education and experience necessary to provide the required knowledge and abilities for the position. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Education/Experience & Other Requirements
- Graduation from high school.
- One year of responsible full-time work experience as a Public Safety Dispatcher.
- Ability to type from clear printed copy at a speed of 35 net words per minute. TYPING CERTIFICATE REQUIRED WITH APPLICATION (see instructions in Part I).
- Willingness and/or ability to work rotating shifts, including nights, holidays and weekends; work on an on-call basis; work irregular duty assignments; wear a uniform and safety equipment; work outside in inclement weather; work under undesirable and hazardous conditions; conform to department grooming standards; successfully pass a background investigation; work alone; attend educational sessions as required; travel out of town for one day or more.
- Candidates considered for appointment must successfully pass job related medical and psychological examinations including a drug screening, and have vision correctable to 20/30 and normal color vision and hearing. Incumbents must demonstrate a state of physical and mental health consistent with the ability to perform assigned duties.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain within one year of employment, a Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) Dispatch Certificate.
- Selected positions require possession of a valid California Driver's License and satisfactory driving record as a condition of initial and continued employment.
KNOWLEDGE of organization and functions of a municipal law enforcement agency; modern office practices and procedures; application of modern computer technology including designated operating programs and software. ABILITY to effectively coordinate the work of safety enforcement personnel in the field; assess and prioritize emergency situations; make rapid and sound independent judgments in stressful emergency situations; perform clerical work and basic mathematical calculations with speed and accuracy; operate computer equipment, a variety of office equipment and specialized police department equipment including computerized telecommunications and dispatch equipment; read, interpret, apply and explain various codes, regulations, manuals, maps, etc.; establish and maintain accurate records; prepare reports; communicate effectively; act with resourcefulness, courtesy and initiative; establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and the general public.
PART I: Application Review. Applicants who meet the minimum requirements will be accepted into the exam. Applications must be accompanied by a 1) SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONNAIRE and 2) VALID TYPING CERTIFICATE.
A VALID TYPING CERTIFICATE MUST be issued by an educational institution, public agency, or professional service which routinely provides typing verification documentation in their normal course of business and INCLUDE:
a. Name of the applicant
b. Date the test was administered (must be within one year prior to the application deadline)
c. Duration of the test (5 minutes minimum)
d. Net and Gross words per minute (minimum speed of 45 net words per minute)
e. Number of errors
f. Name and telephone number of the organization/agency that administered the test.
PART II: A Job-related Qualifications Appraisal Interview (weighted 100%). The panel will conduct a comprehensive review of each candidate's technical knowledge and overall suitability for the position. Candidates receiving a score of 70% or more will have their names placed on an Eligible List. The number of names certified to the department will exceed by four the number of vacancies to be filled. Placement on an Eligible List does not guarantee employment. Tie scores will be broken by giving priority to the candidate based on the earliest application date. Prior to appointment, a thorough reference check will be conducted and may include a credit check. Final selection will be made from the Eligible List by the Department Head. Federal law requires that prior to employment, you must furnish proof of your identity and eligibility for employment in the United States, such as driver’s license, original Social Security card, US passport, or appropriate INS forms, etc.
PART III: Background Investigation. A thorough investigation of personal history, including but not limited to work history, education, military, arrest record, etc., will be conducted on all candidates hired by the Police Department. A City-paid medical examination, psychological evaluation, and polygraph exam is part of the background investigation. Federal law requires that, prior to employment, you must furnish proof of your identity and eligibility for employment in the United States, such as driver’s license, original Social Security card, US passport, or appropriate INS forms, etc.
Veteran’s Preference Credit: A job applicant qualifies as a veteran if honorably discharged from active military, reservist, or National Guard duty of at least 18 consecutive months within the past five (5) years of the date of application. In case of discharge attributable to service-connected injuries or illnesses, the 18 months active duty requirement need not be fulfilled. An applicant claiming veteran’s preference credit must attach to their application, a legible copy of their DD-214 verifying the type of discharge and date(s) of active service. NO OTHER DOCUMENTATION WILL BE ACCEPTED.
1. Apply ONLINE at http://www.cityofalamedaca.gov/City-Hall/Job-Opportunities
Applications must be filed no later than closing time on the last date to apply. No photocopies or facsimiles are accepted. It is the applicant's responsibility to allow adequate delivery time. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a completed City Application.
The City of Alameda encourages minorities, women and the disabled to apply. It is the City's policy that all aspects of employment and promotion shall be without regard to sex, marital status or disability (except where dictated by requirements of the position), race, sexual orientation, political affiliation, religious creed, color, national origin or age. Qualified disabled persons must be able to perform the essential functions of the position with reasonable accommodations. No individual may pose a direct threat to the health or safety of himself/herself or other individuals in the workplace. Barring undue hardship, reasonable accommodations can be made in the application and examination process for disabled individuals or for religious reasons. Requests for reasonable accommodation should be made in advance to the Human Resources Department. Hearing Impaired TDD (510) 522-7538.
The information contained herein is subject to change and does not constitute either an expressed or implied contract.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
2. Apply IN-PERSON at the City of Alameda Human Resources Department (Monday-Thursday, 8am-6pm) at 2263 Santa Clara Avenue, Room 290, Alameda, CA 94501
Self-administered, online typing certificates will NOT be accepted. Typing tests are administered at the Alameda One-Stop Business and Career Center, EASTBAY Works, or other staffing/temporary employment agencies.
For Benefits information, please visit our website at: http://www.cityofalamedaca.gov/City-Hall/Bargaining-Units. A detailed summary can be found for this position under Alameda Police Officers Association.