Close Date: Jan 25, 2013
Salary: $7,046.00 - $8,549.00 Monthly
FINAL FILING DATE: Friday, January 25, 2013 by 5:00 p.m. in the Human Resources Department. Postmarks and faxed applications will not be accepted.
THE POSITION: Current Planning has an opening for an Associate Planner to perform complex professional planning work requiring in-depth knowledge of principles and practices of current and advanced planning, plus innovation and independent judgment. The position calls for a planner who can work effectively and tactfully with developers, other city staff, public officials, and outside agencies to process development proposals, prepare environmental documents, and attend neighborhood meetings and public hearings. Excellent customer service skills and oral and written communication skills are essential.
The City of Hayward provides the opportunity to work in one of the most ethnically diverse places in California, requiring out-of-the-box planning solutions. Planners are involved in all types of development projects according to displayed capability and motivation. The City takes pride in the adoption of Form-Based Codes, the move toward sustainable development and design, and its current efforts to update the General Plan. Hayward enjoys a central location in the Bay Area, access to transportation, including a BART station adjacent to City Hall, and being home to California State University, East Bay, Chabot College, and a number of well-known private educational institutions.
REQUIREMENTS: Any combination of experience and education that would likely provide the required knowledge and ability is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Experience: Three years of responsible experience in a city, county, regional, or private planning agency; experience in long-range planning is desirable.
Education: Equivalent to a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in planning, architecture, landscape, geography, economics, or a related field. A Master’s Degree in Urban Planning or a related field is highly desirable and may be substituted for up to one year of the required experience.
Membership in the American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) is desirable.
Candidates must complete and submit an Application and Response to Supplemental Questions to the Human Resources Department no later than 5:00 PM, Friday, January 25, 2013. Candidates meeting minimum qualifications may be invited to an oral interview for evaluation of background, experience and training. Those candidates who pass the examination process will be placed on an eligible list, which will be submitted to the department for hiring consideration.
SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONS: Please respond comprehensively to the three questions below. A maximum of one page per question is permitted:
1. Please describe the most complex project in which you have been involved, explain the reasons for its complexity, your specific involvement and responsibilities for the project and the outcome of the project.
2. What do you feel are the most important qualities a planner in the public sector should possess, and why do you feel that way?
3. What is the most negative experience you have had as a professional planner? Explain why it was such a negative experience and things you could have done differently to make the experience more positive.
1. File online at: www.calopps.org; or
2. Visit the Human Resources Department at Hayward City Hall located at 777 B Street, Hayward, CA 94541-5007. Office hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.