Close Date: Feb 12, 2013
Salary: $8,767.00 - $10,959.00 Monthly
The City of Mountain View Invites Applications for the Position of
Principal Civil Engineer (Land Development)
$8,767 to $10,959 Monthly*
(Plus a comprehensive benefits package including CalPERS retirement benefits with 2.7 percent at 55 formula for PERS classic members and 2 percent at 62 for new members. Employee’s contribute 10.5% to PERS with no Social Security deduction.)
The Public Works Department is seeking an innovative, enthusiastic individual to join a fast paced department as a Principal Civil Engineer in the Land Development Engineering section. The Principal Civil Engineer is a high-level position reporting directly to the Assistant Public Works Director/City Engineer. This position will lead and supervise the Land Development Engineering section overseeing land development projects and street encroachments for conformance with department policies. Primary responsibilities: lead role in planning, supervising staff, coordinating and directing public infrastructure related to private development; provide professional and technical engineering support services relative to land development including to review, analyze and process private development and tentative map applications and determine Public Works Department conditions of approval; review building plan submittals for accuracy and suitability; review final maps, parcel maps, lot line adjustments, easement dedications, plats and legal descriptions; review street improvement, utility, grading and fiber-optic utility plans; review engineering calculations; prepare Council memos; determine Public Works Department development fees; review improvement agreements, bonds and securities; assist in preparation of Development Agreements; prepare conditions of approval and evaluate environmental documents; coordinate discrepancies and problem situations with a wide variety of outside parties; administer and/or oversee the administration of contracts; oversee and participate in the review of projects under construction in the field; resolve complaints and issues in the field between the inspectors and developers, contractors and/or engineers and assist in the development and implementation of City department or division goals, policies, procedures and priorities. Applicants are encouraged to view the full job description on www.mountainview.gov.
· Education: Equivalent to a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in civil engineering. Masters degree in engineering, business administration, public administration or a related field is highly desirable.
· Experience: Four years of increasingly responsible capital projects/land development civil engineering experience at the Senior Civil Engineer or higher level, including three years working in a lead capacity. Supervisory experience is highly desirable.
· Licenses: Possession of a valid Certificate of Registration as a professional civil engineer in the State of California; possession of a valid California driver's license.
Minimum Knowledge and Skills
· Knowledge of: Principles and practices of civil engineering in municipal and public works; applicable laws and regulatory codes related to development, design and construction; and methods and techniques used in the design, construction and surveying of a variety of public works projects, including utilities, streets, buildings, mechanical and electrical systems. Familiarity with Caltrans standard specifications and details is highly desirable.
· Ability to: Interpret, review and analyze plans and specifications; make complex engineering computations and check, design and supervise the construction of a variety of public works projects; administer contracts; prepare specifications and write technical reports; communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing; establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Selection Process: Application and resume screening will be part of the examination process. Based on the application screening, the candidate with the most relevant qualifications will be invited to a written exercise and oral interview (weighted 100 percent). Depending on the number of applications, the above process may be altered.
Prior to hire, candidates will be required to successfully complete a preemployment process, including employment verification and a DOJ fingerprint check. A conviction history will not necessarily disqualify an applicant from appointment; however, failure to disclose a conviction will result in disqualification or termination. Candidates with a disability which may require special assistance in any phase of the application or testing process should advise the Human Resources Division upon submittal of application. Documentation of the need for accommodation must accompany the request. The City of Mountain View is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).
How To Apply: Applications are available in the Human Resources Division, City of Mountain View, 500 Castro Street, Mountain View, California, 94041, (650) 903-6310, or applicants can apply on-line at www.calopps.org. Applications and resumes must be received in the Human Resources Division by 5:00 p.m., Tuesday, February 12, 2013. (Postmarks, faxes, emails and interoffice mail will not be accepted if not received by the filing deadline.)
*Incentive pay beyond this control point range may be awarded by the City Manager for meritorious performance.