Close Date: Feb 14, 2013
Salary: $9.00 Hourly
LIBRARY CLERK I (Part-Time)
Final Filing Date: Thursday, February 14, 2013 at 5:00 pm
Salary: $9.00 per hour, part-time (20 to 35 hours/week)
Under the supervision of the Literacy Program Coordinator, performs a variety of clerical library and public contact duties and activities which may include: checking library materials out; returning and registering library materials; performing various circulation desk and technical services activities; maintaining library work records; issuing library cards, serving as a technical resource for the general public.
Any combination of education and experience that has provided the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary for the position. A typical way of obtaining the required qualifications is to:
Education and/or Experience: Possess six months experience in customer service, library operations and support, or a related field. A high school diploma or equivalent is required; course work in library science or a related field is highly desirable.
License/Certificate: Possession of a valid California driver’s license.
Knowledge of: Basic operations of a library services program. Basic principles and practices of customer service library practices. Operations and services for the circulation desk. Modern office equipment including a computer and applicable software.
Ability to: Courteously respond to patron issues and organizational concerns and needs. Perform clerical library tasks. Maintain records and files. Work independently. Understand and follow oral and written directions. Apply applicable laws, codes and regulations. Establish and maintain effective working relationships.
Skill to: Effectively operate a motor vehicle on City streets. Type at a speed of 40 words per minute. Operate computer and applicable software.
- May include, but are not limited to the following:
- Perform a variety of clerical library and public contact duties and activities, which may include checking out, returning and registering library materials.
- Answer directional reference questions and assist patrons in locating materials.
- Perform a variety of circulation-related duties and responsibilities; check in all books, periodicals and audio-visual material; prepare books and materials for processing; evaluate the condition of returned materials and prepare them for return to their designated areas; process inter-library loan requests.
- Prepare the cash register/drawer following established register procedures and policies; calculate and collect overdue and other fines from patrons.
- Register and issue library cards to patrons; check patron status to verify registration information; enter patron data into the computer system.
- Review records and send overdue notices to patrons who have overdue library materials.
- Perform a variety of general office duties including answering the telephone and typing, unpacking, sorting and distributing book shipments.
- Maintain schedules for performing assigned duties; maintain appropriate work records and documents including date-due cards; prepare statistical reports on work activities as necessary.
- May assist in shelving of books, periodicals, videos, cassettes and other library materials; discard old and outdated materials as directed.
- Assist in maintaining a variety of information boards, (files and records including the job resources board and the public information bulletin board).
- Assist in monitoring the circulation and technical service work performed by volunteers; provide training as requested.
- Perform other related duties as required.