Close Date: Feb 18, 2013
Salary: $21.89 - $26.61 Hourly
PART-TIME ABANDONED VEHICLE ABATEMENT OFFICER
Hourly Rate: $21.89 – $26.61 per hour
Filing Deadline: 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, February 20, 2013
Important Note: Recruitment closes when 75 applications have been received or by the filing deadline, whichever comes first.
Oral Interview tentatively scheduled for: Wednesday, March 13, 2013
The Abandoned Vehicle Abatement Officer is a non-sworn single class position that is responsible for responding to complaints from the public related to abandoned vehicles and enforcing municipal and State vehicle parking and abatement codes, regulations and laws.
Any combination equivalent to the education and experience likely to provide the required knowledge and abilities would be qualifying. A typical way to gain such knowledge and abilities would be:
Education: Equivalent to graduation from high school.
Experience: One year of experience working with the public.
One year of parking enforcement is desirable.
Certificates/Licenses: A valid California Class C driver license.
Additional Requirement: Must be available to work off-shift hours, including weekends, and/or holidays.
Highly Qualified Applicants
Applicants demonstrating the following will be rated as most highly qualified:
· Experience in parking enforcement.
· Experience responding to questions and complaints from the public and or explaining procedures, regulations or similar information to the public.
Duties include, but are not limited to the following:
· Respond to questions and complaints from the public regarding abandoned vehicles, parking citations and codes, regulations and laws related to vehicle abatement; interpret and explain City parking laws.
· Patrol the City and locate, mark, and tag vehicles which appear to be abandoned on either public or private property; enforce parking regulations and issue citations.
· Conduct follow-up inspection of all previously marked vehicles to determine if vehicle should be towed; arrange and oversee towing of all abandoned vehicles.
· Prepare and maintain daily activity logs and all necessary reports.
· Act as a liaison with tow companies and the public.
· Perform related duties as assigned.
· Respond to requests and inquiries from the public.
· Interpret, apply, and enforce municipal and State vehicle parking and abatement codes, regulations and laws.
· Prepare and maintain accurate records and prepare clear and concise reports.
· Use sound independent judgment within established guidelines.
· Deal tactfully and effectively with those encountered in the course of the work, including hostile and irate citizens.
· Principles and practices of customer service and public relations.
· Principles and procedures of record keeping.
· Principles of basic report preparation.
· Basic computer use
To apply you are required to make application online at www.Calopps.org. All documents must be received by the final filing date.
Questions about the application and selection process can be directed to Pamala Stephens, Human Resources Manager at email@example.com or (707) 778-4343.
Questions about the Police Department can be directed to Tim Lyons, Police Lieutenant at firstname.lastname@example.org or 778-4372.
All completed application documents will be reviewed. An application submitted without complete information will not be considered. A screening committee will evaluate the qualifications of each applicant who has met the minimum requirements for the position.
The highest-ranking applicants will be invited to continue in the selection process. Applicants meeting the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement in the process, and the decision of the screening committee is final. Applicants will be notified within 10 business days after the filing deadline as to the status of his/her application.
Candidates being considered for selection will undergo a background investigation, pre-employment medical examination, and State of California Department of Justice fingerprint search of records. Successful candidates must pass a drug screen as part of the pre-employment medical examination to be considered for appointment. All statements made on application materials must be correct and will be subject to investigation and verification.
If you need special accommodation for any stage of the examination process, please visit the City’s website and complete the Special Testing Accommodation Request Form at http://cityofpetaluma.net/hr/forms.html. You may also contact the Human Resources Division at (707) 778-4534 or via email at email@example.com.
Part-time employees are not eligible for benefits.
NOTE: This announcement is intended as a general descriptive recruitment guide and is subject to change. It does not constitute either an expressed or implied contract, and these provisions are subject to change.