Close Date: Feb 22, 2013
Salary: $3,084.00 - $3,748.00 Hourly
he City of Redwood City invites you to apply for the position of PARKING ENFORCEMENT OFFICER. This is an excellent opportunity for a motivated individual seeking to gain experience within a law enforcement agency. The Parking Enforcement Officer is a non-sworn position responsible for the enforcement of local ordinances and state laws governing vehicle parking. Typical duties include, but are not limited to: Patrolling an assigned area of the City and observing vehicles for parking violations; Enforcing related local regulations, ordinances, and State vehicle codes; Checking parking meters and issuing citations for expired meters, improper use of specially designated or timed zones or lots, improper parking, expired registration, improperly licensed vehicles, and related violations; Monitoring and reporting parking sign problems and malfunctioning meters to appropriate repair staff; Answering a variety of questions from the public regarding parking and related laws, and respond to complaints; Assisting with traffic control during rush hours and for traffic accidents or special assignments; Completing data required for citations and maintaining records related to work performed. This position may require weekend and evening shifts.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
Will embrace the City’s emphasis on excellent customer service; will be professional, detail-oriented and able to manage multiple tasks; will use initiative and independent judgement; will be a team player who likes working with a variety of City staff and the public and have a sense of humor.
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Education & Experience
Equivalent to completion of of the twelfth grade. No previous experience necessary.
· Safe work methods and safe driving principles and practices.
· Basic geographic layout of the City
· Record-keeping procedures
· Basic arithmetic
· Operate modern office equipment including computer equipment.
· Operate a motor vehicle safely.
· Interpret, apply, explain and enforce laws, codes, and ordinances related to parking enforcement.
· Learn the California Vehicle Code.
· Operate a motor vehicle safely while observing parking violations and conditions.
· Exercise sound judgment within established guidelines and supervisory direction.
· Analyze situations and determine appropriate course of action.
· Prepare clear and concise correspondence and accurate documentation.
· Establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, public, and other agencies.
· Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
· Utilize police radio and communications equipment.
Possession of a valid California driver’s license and satisfactory driving record is required.
Applications may be obtained in one of the following ways:
3. Call our 24-hour Job Hotlineat (650) 780-7292. TDD is available during normal business hours for hearing impaired at: (650) 780-7265
4. Visit the City of Redwood City Department of Human Resources (Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm) at 1017 Middlefield Road, Redwood City, California 94063
Candidates with a disability who may require special assistance in any phase of the application or selection process should advise the Department of Human Resources upon submittal of application.
A City application is required. All applications will be reviewed for neatness, accuracy, completion, relevant education, experience, training and other job related qualifications. Those who best meet the stated qualifications and requirements for the position will be invited to interview with the department. Selected candidates will also complete a practical examination. The Police Chief will make the final appointment from the top three candidates on the eligibility list. The Immigration Act of 1986 requires proof of identity and eligibility for employment at date of hire. Prior to appointment, candidates will be required to pass a background check, at no cost to the candidate.
The City of Redwood City is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer!
The successful candidate will enjoy the following benefits:
· Public Employees Retirement System (PERS)
· Opportunity to select from a variety of health plans that are administered by PERS under a cafeteria plan including health insurance, health care and dependent care reimbursement
· Dental & vision insurance
· Employee Assistance Program
· Vacation at l0 days per year to 25 days after 20 years
· Sick leave of 12 days per year
· Twelve paid holidays per year
· Three days bereavement leave
NOTE: Earnings from this job are not covered under Social Security. When you retire you may receive a pension based on earnings from this job. If you do, your pension may affect the amount of Social Security benefits you may receive. For more information go to www.socialsecurity.gov/form1945
We are an exceptional organization and a leader in the Bay Area. The values that guide us are:
· EXCELLENCE: Passion to do our best in each moment.
· INTEGRITY: Do the right thing, not the easy thing.
· SERVICE: We care and it makes a difference.
· CREATIVITY: Freedom to imagine and courage to act.
The City of Redwood City is a great place to work!
Note: The provisions of this bulletin do not constitute an expressed or implied contract and any provisions contained in this bulletin may be modified or revoked without notice.