Close Date: Mar 12, 2013
Salary: $92,060.80 - $116,480.00 Annually
About the Department
The City of San José, the Capital of Silicon Valley, is one of the nation's best managed cities and one of the top ten cities in which to live, work, and do business. Moreover, San José is the center of cultural, government and economic activity for the region. The employees of the City of San José have embraced the following values: Integrity, Innovation, Excellence, Collaboration, Respect and Celebration.
The City's Planning, Building and Code Enforcement Department is seeking an individual whose values align with the values of the City's employees.
The Planning, Building and Code Enforcement Department's mission is to facilitate the preservation and building of a safe, attractive, vibrant and sustainable San José through partnership with and exceptional service to our diverse communities and customers.
Position and Duties
The Department of Planning, Building and Code Enforcement is hiring a Senior Engineer in their Building Division. The Senior Engineer performs a variety of professional and supervisory assignments including, coordinating and directing the activities of a group of engineers and inspectors in reviewing complex professional plans and calculations to ensure compliance with uniform codes, engineering principles, Federal, State and local ordinances and regulations.
Other duties of this position may include, but are not limited to:
- Supervises engineers, architects, building inspectors in reviewing complex professional structural and architectural plans and calculations to ensure compliance with the uniform technical codes (e.g. Building, Electrical, Plumbing and Mechanical), structural engineering principles, disabled access regulations and other state and local ordinances and regulations.
- Assigns and monitors staff workload.
- Evaluates job performance of plan check engineers and architects, inspectors assigned to plan review, and/or non-technical personnel.
- Advises professional engineers, architects and others concerning code requirements, engineering and planning problems arising in the preliminary design of buildings and structures.
- Develops, directs and/or implements technical training programs.
- Prepares written guidelines and policies to facilitate consistent application of the uniform technical codes, ordinances and regulations within the work group.
- Coordinates and directs technical and non-technical staff in the issuance of building permits.
- Understands, promotes and supports City Service Area’s Business Plans and the core services of the Department by implementing "Superior Customer Service through Successful Partnerships".
- Coordinates with other City departments and agencies, and confers with elected officials.
- Meets with professional and business groups.
- Conducts safety assessments of older buildings and assists in enforcing compliance with the Dangerous Building Ordinance.
- Has the ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Has the ability to review and critique submitted plans and designs.
- Has the ability to analyze and recommend approval of alternate methods and materials of construction.
Education: A Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university in Architecture, Civil, or Structural/Architectural Engineering or a closely related field (e.g., Construction Management).
Experience: Five (5) years of progressively responsible professional experience in architecture, building construction contracting or engineering work.
Licenses or Certificates: Registered as a Civil Engineer with the California Board of Registration for Civil and Professional Engineers (candidates are required to submit proof of registration when applying), valid California driver's license.
Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San José will not prepare or file a labor condition application with the Department of Labor.
To Learn More and Apply
To view the full announcement for this exciting opportunity and apply online with the City of San José, please visit the City of San José’s employment page by clicking on the link below.
Then click on the “Prospective Employees” link.
City of San José Employment Page