Close Date: Apr 4, 2013
Salary: $6,298.00 - $8,440.00 Monthly
FINAL FILING DATE: We are accepting applications until 5:00 P.M., Tuesday, March 26, 2013. The final filing date has been extended to Thursday, April 4, 2013.
PLEASE NOTE: ALL CORRESPONDENCE WILL BE THROUGH E-MAIL.
TENTATIVE TESTING DATES: Oral Interview Exam – TBD
IT IS MANDATORY THAT YOU COMPLETE THE SUPPLEMENTAL APPLICATION. YOUR APPLICATION WILL BE REJECTED IF YOU DO NOT PROVIDE ALL NECESSARY INFORMATION.
The Human Resources Department is accepting applications for the position of Senior Database Analyst in the Information Technology Department. The normal work schedule is Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. A flex schedule may be available. This position will provide a high level of technical expertise in data center with various infrastructure technology. The primary emphasis will be databases, specifically Oracle and SQL Server, but also assisting the data center team with enterprise servers and storage. Additionally this position will supervise the data center team and report directly to the IT Assistant Director.
To plan, organize and coordinate implementation of multiple database systems on a City-wide basis; to perform highly complex database design and administration duties; and to provide technical and functional supervision over professional staff.
The Senior Database Analyst is the advanced journey level in the Database Analyst class series. Positions at this level are distinguished from other classes within the series by the level of responsibility assumed, complexity of duties assigned, independence of action taken, by the amount of time spent performing the duties, and by the nature of the public contact made. Employees perform the most difficult and responsible types of duties assigned to classes within this series and provide technical and functional supervision over professional and technical personnel.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
• Receives general direction from an Information Technology Division Manager.
• Exercises technical and functional supervision over assigned professional and technical personnel.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES - Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Plan, prioritize, and review the work of personnel assigned to database management functions.
• Develop schedules and methods to accomplish assignments ensuring work is completed in a timely and efficient manner.
• Participate in evaluating the activities of staff, recommending improvements and modifications.
• Provide and coordinate staff training; work with employees to correct deficiencies.
• Perform the most difficult and complex work related to database management and administration including backup and recovery planning and implementation, overseeing disk capacity of server and database infrastructure, and monitoring performance of assigned databases and servers.
• Design and implement database infrastructure.
• Lead system design, business process design, and business solution activities and provide technical advice to staff and other departments.
• Oversee efforts to integrate databases with enterprise systems to best meet the needs of the City.
• Participate in strategic planning efforts with respect to improve information technology service delivery.
• Install, configure, and setup a variety of databases; respond to inquiries, updates, and integration of data requests.
• Determine and enforce technical and security standards related to various databases; develop processes and best practices in order to maintain the integrity of data.
• Participate in the development of Requests for Proposal; assist with the selection and oversight of consultants and vendors.
• Participate in budget preparation and administration for assigned projects.
• Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other City employees and the public using principles of good customer service.
• Perform related duties as assigned.
• Principles and practices of complex database design, implementation, operation, and maintenance for a variety of uses and applications.
• Project management methodologies.
• Relational database management systems.
• Local area networks, operating systems and network terminology.
• Principles and practices of technical and functional supervision and training.
• Plan, organize and coordinate implementation of City database operations related to area of assignment.
• On a continuous basis, know and understand all aspects of the job. Intermittently analyze work papers, reports and special projects; identify and interpret technical and numerical information; observe and problem solve operational and technical policy and procedures.
• On a continuous basis, sit at desk for long periods of time. Intermittently twist to reach equipment surrounding desk; perform simple grasping and fine manipulation; use telephone, and write or use a keyboard to communicate through written means; and lift or carry weight of 30 pounds or less.
• Integrate and update a variety of databases.
• Document and implement systems following the software life cycles; make recommendations for upgrades and/or replacements.
• Analyze, design, integrate, program, and manage highly technical and complex computer programs as related to database operations.
• Interpret and explain pertinent information technology and City policies and procedures.
• Effectively manage the more complex projects.
• Effectively lead cross-functional teams.
• Prepare a variety of reports and maintain accurate records and files.
• Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
• Maintain confidentiality as necessary.
• Work weekends, evenings or standby, as required.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Experience and Training
• Three years of responsible experience performing duties similar to that of a Database Analyst II with the City of Roseville.
• Equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in computer science, information systems, or a related field.
License or Certificate
• Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid California driver’s license.
1. Please describe your experience as a manager/supervisor.
2. Please describe your experience as a technical lead, your responsibilities, and challenges.
3. Please describe your knowledge and experience working with database technology?
4. Please describe your knowledge and experience working with server and storage technology?
Applications will be screened to the most qualified candidates. Those candidates will be invited to an oral interview exam weighted 100%. Scores earned from the oral exam will establish the Employment List. Candidates within the top five ranked scores will be certified to the department for final consideration. Final appointment is contingent upon passing a background check, a City-paid pre-employment medical exam, a drug and alcohol screening test, and a fingerprint check.