Close Date: Continuous
Salary: $78,124.80 - $95,222.40 Annually
About the Department
The City of San José, the Capital of Silicon Valley, is one of the nation's best managed cities and one of the top ten cities in which to live, work, and do business. Moreover, San José is the center of cultural, government and economic activity for the region. The employees of the City of San José have embraced the following values: Integrity, Innovation, Excellence, Collaboration, Respect and Celebration.
The City's Department of Transportation is seeking an individual whose values align with the values of the City's employees.
The Department of Transportation (DOT) plans, develops, operates, and maintains transportation facilities, services, and related systems which contribute to the livability and economic health of the City. We comprise a team of more than 470 people ready to serve the needs of our customers to improve the efficiency and safety of San Jose streets. For more information about DOT, visit www.sanjoseca.gov/transportation.
Position and Duties
THIS RECRUITMENT IS OPEN UNTIL FILLED. HOWEVER, APPLICATIONS RECEIVED BY April 2, 2013 WILL RECEIVE FIRST CONSIDERATION.
The Department of Transportation is currently recruiting to fill a temporary Associate Transportation Specialist position in the Transportation Planning and Project Delivery Division. This position is approved through June 30, 2013, with the possibility of moving to permanent status. The primary responsibility for this position will be to help develop and implement the multimodal policies of the General Plan Envision 2040. Under the general direction of the Senior Transportation Specialist and Deputy Director this position will coordinate the implementation of the City’s multimodal policies, coordination within the Department of Transportation and other City Departments, writing grant applications, and administering and managing grant funded projects. The successful candidate will work closely with the Senior Transportation Specialist to lead Division activities, prepare technical report and memorandum, participate in public outreach effort, and manage projects including project schedules and budgets.
1. Coordinating policy development and implementation related to the transportation goals of the General Plan Envision 2040.
2. Development of programs intended to increase bicycle, pedestrian, and transit use.
3. Coordinates the planning and implementation of multimodal goals, policies, and projects.
4. Seeking and writing grant applications for regional, state and federal grants for various transportation projects in the City.
5. Administering and managing grant funded projects including working with regional, state and federal agencies to meet all grant requirements
6. Recommending design and service features for projects that enhance potential for use of transportation alternatives such as dedicated bike lanes, pedestrian and transit corridors to promote the concept of complete streets.
7. Recommending the use and placement of traffic control devices to enhance overall safety and to promote alternative transportation modes and improve overall accessibility for pedestrians, bicyclists and motorists.
8. Leading and supervising staff as needed by establishing goals, tracking performances, creating a positive work environment, maximizing staff development opportunities and providing appropriate recognition.
9. Assisting Senior Transportation Specialist with the budget preparation, personnel and training matters.
10. Representing the Department of Transportation at meetings with internal and external stakeholders.
Education: Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a Bachelor's degree in transportation planning, city and regional planning, urban studies, civil engineering or closely related field.
Experience: Three years of increasingly responsible experience in transportation policy development, analyses or implementation programs.
Acceptable Substitutions: A high school degree and eight (8) years of increasingly responsible transportation or planning may be considered equivalent to the education and experience requirement given above.
Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will not prepare or file a labor condition application with the Department of Labor.
To Learn More and Apply
To view the full announcement for this exciting opportunity and apply online with the City of San José, please visit the City of San José’s employment page by clicking on the link below.
Then click on the “Prospective Employees” link.