Close Date: Mar 31, 2013
Salary: $86,153.60 - $104,936.00 Annually
About the Department
The City of San José, the Capital of Silicon Valley, is one of the nation's best managed cities and one of the top ten cities in which to live, work, and do business. Moreover, San José is the center of cultural, government and economic activity for the region. The employees of the City of San José have embraced the following values: Integrity, Innovation, Excellence, Collaboration, Respect and Celebration. The City's Information Technology Department is seeking an individual whose values align with the values of the City's employees.
The Information Technology Department's (ITD) mission is to enable the service delivery of its customers through the integration of Citywide technology resources.
ITD consists of four core service areas:
- Enterprise Technology Systems and Solutions: Business Systems, Database Administration, Financial Management Systems, HR/Payroll, Integrated Billing
- Information Technology Infrastructure: Core Infrastructure, Telecommunications, Servers, Desktop Support, Email
- Customer Contact Center: Utility Billing, Internet Self-Service, General Information Requests
- Strategic Support: Budget/Fiscal Management, Procurement, Contract Administration, Human Resources, Analytical Support
The Information Technology Department strives to provide meaningful impact through the effective use of technology for its employees and community that the City organization serves.
Position and Duties
This position is part of the Information Technology Infrastructure Team and will serve as the Infrastructure Manager. The Infrastructure Manager is responsible for managing and overseeing the enterprise systems and Windows network functions including Microsoft Active Directory infrastructure, server virtualization environment, enterprise storage, systems backup and restore, and enterprise desktop environment. ITD is currently implementing many exciting technology projects such as migrating the emails and office productivity tools to utilize cloud technology, implementing cloud storage, and planning infrastructure for secondary data centers including in a disaster recovery initiative. The Infrastructure Manager will lead the day-to-day infrastructure and network operations as well as lead projects to their completion. The Infrastructure Manager will also supervise technical engineers and mid-level managers.
- Supervise and lead a team of 10 technical engineers and entry-level team managers to manage the City enterprise operations which includes the Microsoft Windows Active Directory infrastructure, Sun Solaris cluster, enterprise storage, hosted email and standard Office suite, Symantec Netbackup, VMware cluster, Veeam Backups, Network and Systems Monitor, etc.
- Lead enterprise technical projects that are moderate to complex in scope.
- Analyze system performance issues and troubleshoot complex issues related to network, Windows servers, Unix servers, enterprise storage, applications, and databases.
- Administer, document, and establish policies and procedures for citywide technologies including servers, workstations, enterprise storage, server virtualization, disaster and recovery, system security, and service desk.
- Plan IT operation strategy which includes equipment replacement, and operational roadmap.
- Lead security incident like virus outbreaks, system intrusion, etc.
Education: Baccalaureate Degree from an accredited college or university in a relevant field of study.
Experience: Five (5) years of increasingly responsible professional level experience in computer applications, systems, networks or telecommunications work, of which at least two (2) years have been at a level comparable to an Information Systems Analyst (ISA) with the City of San José. A copy of the City's job classification for an ISA can be accessed at: http://hrclassspecs.sanjoseca.gov/humanresources/spec/1355s003.htm
Acceptable Substitutions: Additional years of increasingly responsible, directly related, work experience may be substituted for education on a year-for-year basis. Completion of a Master's Degree in a relevant field from an accredited college or university may be substituted for one (1) year of the required two (2) years of experience at a level comparable to an ISA.
Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San José will not prepare or file a labor condition application with the Department of Labor.
To Learn More and Apply
To view the full announcement for this exciting opportunity and apply online with the City of San José, please visit the City of San José’s employment page by clicking on the link below.
Then click on the “Prospective Employees” link.
City of San José Employment Page