Close Date: May 5, 2013
Salary: $14.19 - $20.82 Hourly
CITY OF MOUNTAIN VIEW
Invites Applications for the PositionS of
shoreline Environmental Youth Corps
$14.19 - $20.82/Hour
Position: The Shoreline Division of the City of Mountain View Community Services Department is seeking individuals with landscaping and/or carpentry skills who enjoy working with 14-18 year old students. The Crew Leader with the Shoreline Environmental Youth Corps will be responsible for supervising a 5-6 member team performing work such as planting trees and shrubs, constructing pathways, building and repairing fences, painting and installing irrigation systems within Shoreline Park, Stevens Creek Trail and other City parks.
Crew Leader Schedule: June 3 –August 16
Maximum of 30 Hours Per Week
Monday – Friday
Schedule between 7:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. as needed
- Report to the Youth Corps Coordinators
- Supervise Youth Corps crew members.
- Assist with training of crew members
- Review project plans and specifications with the Corps. Coordinate and develop work plans, schedules and task lists to successfully complete projects.
- Insure projects are completed safely and efficiently.
Qualifications: Applicants must demonstrate:
1. A history of working with youth.
2. Technical skills in landscape construction, carpentry or maintenance.
3. Ability to coordinate work schedules. Flexibility to juggle a variety of tasks and an enthusiasm for working with youth in an outdoor setting.
4. Ability to teach Corps members the use of basic hand tools and safe working habits.
5. Ability to direct Corps members to complete tasks and projects.
6. Ability to complete necessary City forms related to schedules, work performance, etc.
7. Ability to follow simple plans and instructions relating to summer projects.
8. Ability to assist with in-service training sessions and daily crew meetings.
Work Experience: Experience in carpentry, landscape construction, maintenance and working with youth preferred.
Working Conditions: Substantial physical exertion required in the field, working with crews to complete numerous tasks and projects.
Special License: Valid California Driver’s License.
Other: Successful candidate will be subject to a back evaluation and fingerprinting.
To Apply: Applicants can apply online at www.calopps.org or paper applications can be downloaded from www.mountainview.gov or picked up in person at Shoreline at Mountain View, 3070 N. Shoreline Blvd., Mountain View, CA 94043 or by calling 650 903-6392. Applications should be submitted online via Calopps or delivered to Shoreline at Mountain View, 3070 N. Shoreline Blvd., Mountain View, CA 94043. First application review will be on May 1, 2013, open until filled.
Selection Process: Application screening will be part of the examination process. Those candidates with the most relevant background and experience will be invited to an oral interview (weighted 100 percent).
Prior to hire, candidates will be required to successfully complete a preemployment process, including employment verification and a DOJ fingerprint check. A conviction history will not necessarily disqualify an applicant from appointment; however, failure to disclose a conviction will result in disqualification or termination.
The City of Mountain View is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to develop a workforce representing the diversity of the region that we serve.