Close Date: Apr 16, 2013
Salary: $69,908.80 - $85,051.20 Annually
About the Department
The City of San José, the Capital of Silicon Valley, is one of the nation's best managed cities and one of the top ten cities in which to live, work, and do business. Moreover, San José is the center of cultural, government and economic activity for the region. The employees of the City of San José have embraced the following values: Integrity, Innovation, Excellence, Collaboration, Respect and Celebration. The City's Public Works Department is seeking an individual whose values align with the values of the City's employees.
The Public Works Department has the primary responsibility to deliver facilities and infrastructure that meets the needs of the residents of San José and comply with the standards and requirements established in the engineering guidelines and the City's Master Plans. The Department achieves its goals through planning, design and construction of the City's capital projects, and also through the plan review and permit process to regulate and facilitate private development projects.
Position and Duties
The Public Works Department is seeking a Communications Technician for the Radio Communications Shop. The Radio Communications shop maintains the communication system for the City of San Jose that is used by multiple departments, such as: Police, Fire, Department of Transportation, Parks Recreation Neighborhood Services (Park Rangers), and Public Works (Animal Care & Services). The City of San Jose public safety and city services depend upon the use of commercial radio communications equipment. For police officers and firefighters, radio communications is the primary means of communicating with the 9-1-1 dispatch center in performing their duties. These vast stand-alone radio systems with fault-tolerant designs are essential to providing the public with reliable emergency response services 24 hours a day, 365 days a year with demand for system survivability through any catastrophic event.
The Communications Technician is responsible for the construction, assembly, repair and operation of wireless communication fixed-base and portable/mobile radio and associated equipment. In addition, to installing, repairing and servicing all component the comprise these systems, the technician also maintains over 12,000 subscriber devices (radios) supported by the system. The ECOMM system is a region-wide system providing the backbone for radio communications interoperability and is being supported and maintained by the Communications Technician.
- Installs, services and repairs base and mobile radio transmitters and receivers, antennas, remote controls, microwave equipment, inter-communications, sound systems, video systems, telephone and other electronic equipment.
- Constructs or modifies electronic communications and data equipment; develops interconnect circuitry; performs research and tests on equipment; evaluates equipment performance and checks test equipment.
- Troubleshoots and repairs antennas and cables on towers and buildings.
- Tests circuits, transistors, and other parts, using various specialized test equipment.
- Isolates defects in equipment, corrects them or replaces the parts.
- Measures frequencies, modulation, and power output of radio and, ensuring compliance with federal regulations.
- Adjusts transmitters and receivers for maximum efficiency and makes field surveys to determine coverage.
- Constructs and assembles communications and radio monitor equipment.
- Checks, services and makes minor repairs, or calls for repair, of emergency generators to insure operation when needed.
- Prepares work sheets of all radio systems and maintains equipment inventories.
- Prepares reports as required.
Any combination of training and experience equivalent to:
Education/Experience: Any combination of training and experience equivalent to completion of a two-year college curriculum in radio communications or electronics and one (1) year of experience in the installation, maintenance and repair of land mobile communications equipment.
Licenses or Certificates:
Possession of a valid driver's license authorizing operation of a motor vehicle in the State of California. For those positions selectively certified to the land mobile radio function, possession of a valid General Class Radiotelephone Operators license, issued by the Federal Communications Commission, or an equivalent Communications Technician Certification, issued after examination by a recognized two-way radio professional organization is required.
-Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will not prepare or file a labor condition application with the Department of Labor.
To Learn More and Apply
To view the full announcement for this exciting opportunity and apply online with the City of San José, please visit the City of San José’s employment page by clicking on the link below.
Then click on the “Prospective Employees” link.
City of San José Employment Page