Close Date: May 8, 2013
Salary: $40,331.20 - $49,004.80 Annually
About the Department
The City of San José, the Capital of Silicon Valley, is one of the nation's best managed cities and one of the top ten cities in which to live, work, and do business. Moreover, San José is the center of cultural, government and economic activity for the region. The employees of the City of San José have embraced the following values: Integrity, Innovation, Excellence, Collaboration, Respect and Celebration.
The City's Parks, Recreation and Neighborhood Services Department (PRNS) s seeking an individual whose values align with the values of the City's employees.
The Parks, Recreation and Neighborhood Services Department supports the livability of neighborhoods, offers opportunities for individuals to enjoy life, and strengthens communities of people.
Position and Duties
Currently there are three vacant benefitted Senior Recreation Leader positions: one Full Time located at Happy Hollow Park & Zoo, one B Benefited (30 hours per week) located at Lake Cunningham Skate Park and one C Benefited (25 hours per week) located at Leininger Center.
The Full-Time Senior Recreation Leader at Happy Hollow Park & Zoo will support a variety of administrative and operational needs at the park. Duties include but are not limited to:
- Supporting and coordinating the daily opening and closing of Happy Hollow Park and Zoo; ensuring the readiness of key units prior to opening
- Maintaining the safety and cleanliness of facilities
- Ensuring that field staff are upholding high customer service standards
- Resolving customer service related problems as they arise; and, implementing the daily events and programming schedule
- Overseeing and training of Community Service Aides, Regional Park Aides, and Recreation Leaders that serve as celebrations hosts, Will Call representatives, face painters, party planners, daily leads, etc.
- Establishing and monitoring performance expectations for staff and providing evaluations
- Coordinating with other park and zoo supervisors to implement system wide programs
- Assisting in conducting competitive pricing evaluations relative to HHPZ competitors and recommending corresponding pricing and program changes, as necessary
- Assisting with the implementation and delivery of special events to support PRNS' objectives in making HHPZ 100% cost recovery.
The B Benefited (30 hours per week) at Lake Cunningham Skate Park will implement and oversee programming at the Lake Cunningham Regional Skate Park and Parking Operations. Duties include but are not limited to:
- Supervising Regional Park Aides and Recreation Leaders
- Developing staff schedules, training and management
- Program developing and implementing including classes, skate lessons, birthday parties, & special events that focus on Skate Boarding and BMX
- Cash handling, revenue and expense tracking for all components of skate park and parking operations
- Purchasing, stocking and inventorying merchandise and food & beverage for resale
- Assisting in developing/implementing marketing plan and materials
- Coordinating and working with a variety of volunteers to support program needs
- Writing reports such as: annual accident reports, quarterly performance updates, and others as required
- Creating and maintaining appropriate safety conditions and respond to accidents, providing first aid as needed
- Supporting PRNS' objective in making LCRSP 100% cost recovery
- Supporting major events occurring at the Skate Park.
The C Benefited (25 hours per week) located at Leininger Center will support the City Wide Sports - Sports Facilities Reservations Program. Duties include but are not limited to:
- Supporting the back office and the online field registration system through RECS.
- Coordinating field use with all user groups 4 times, or more, per year
- Resolving field use conflicts or concerns
- Assisting neighbors with concerns regarding sports use near their homes
- Scheduling field monitors
- Working closely with the Recreation Program Specialist to ensure reservations, billing and refunds are done in a timely manner
- Resolving outstanding balances
- Networking with other field reservations staff in other cities
- Monitoring authorized and unauthorized sports use of our fields
- Assisting with the Leininger front counter operations as needed
Work Environment and Schedule
Please be advised that these positions will have a schedule that may include early mornings, evenings, weekends and holidays. Additionally, the positions require long periods of standing, walking, use of a hand-held radio and some lifting.
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in this, or other divisions or departments. If you are interested in employment in this classification, you should apply to ensure you are considered for additional opportunities that may utilize the applicants from this recruitment.
Any combination of training and experience equivalent to:
1. Education: Completion of high school or equivalent General Educational Development (G.E.D.) Certificate, or California Proficiency Certificate.
2. Experience: Three years of full-time (6,240 hours) recreation leadership experience at the level of Recreation Leader with the City of San José.
3. Acceptable Substitutions: Advance undergraduate education in Recreation and Leisure Studies or closely related field may be substituted for up to a maximum of two years of the required experience on a year-for-year basis.
4. Licenses or Certificates: As a condition of employment in some designated positions, possession of a valid State of California Class A or B driver's license with applicable endorsements may be required in the performance of job duties.
5. Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San José will not prepare or file a labor condition application with the Department of Labor.
To Learn More and Apply
To view the full announcement for this exciting opportunity and apply online with the City of San José, please visit the City of San José’s employment page by clicking on the link below.
Then click on the “Prospective Employees” link.
City of San José Employment Page