Close Date: May 28, 2013
Salary: $48,568.00 - $72,134.40 Annually
About the Department
The City of San José, the Capital of Silicon Valley, is one of the nation's best managed cities and one of the top ten cities in which to live, work, and do business. Moreover, San José is the center of cultural, government and economic activity for the region. The employees of the City of San José have embraced the following values: Integrity, Innovation, Excellence, Collaboration, Respect and Celebration.
The Department of Public Works is seeking an individual whose values align with the values of the City's employees.
The Department of Public Works is responsible for delivering capital improvement projects for a wide variety of City facilities and infrastructure, maintaining City facilities and fleet assets, facilitating and regulating development activities, and providing animal care and services. The Department is committed to high-quality service, partnering with the community, and providing an excellent environment in which to work.
Position and Duties
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in this, or other divisions or departments. If you are interested in employment in this classification, you should apply to ensure you are considered for additional opportunities that may utilize the applicants from this recruitment.
The Department is recruiting to fill a Geographic Systems Specialist I/II (GSS I/II) position to support the GIS Section’s ongoing activities to maintain and enhance GIS production services; and activities to develop technology solutions that will maximize the delivery of City products and services. The individual selected for this position will work primarily in the production group of the GIS Section. Under the direction of a Senior Geographic Systems Specialist, the incumbent will perform the key responsibilities listed below.
Responsibilities include, but may not be limited to:
This GSS I/II position will perform GIS mapping/production services and, when directed, application development activities to develop and maintain GIS applications.
· Operate and maintain various types of GIS equipment including workstations, servers and plotters.
· Interpret recorded engineering plans to enter graphic and attribute data into GIS.
· Produce City map books through the use of ArcMap, and MapText or Maplex.
· Create and maintain GIS layers from resources such as engineering plans, assessor’s maps, and discrepancy reports using ArcMap editing tools.
· Improve GIS data quality by conducting research of record drawings and other documents, and performing ad-hoc queries and other methods to identify discrepancies or data quality problems.
· Respond to user requests for GIS data and other information following City protocol and using GIS tools such as FME and automated scripts for data conversion.
· Respond to requests for GIS analysis using various analysis tools and produce maps, charts, graphs, reports, infographics, and presentations as directed.
· Assist with troubleshooting problems encountered in GIS production work including QA/QC.
· Develop workflows and documentation for various GIS tasks.
· Develop GIS products such as maps and other geospatial products as required.
Any combination of training and experience equivalent to:
1. Education: A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Geographic Information Systems, Engineering, Computer Science, Earth or Physical Sciences, Geography, Urban Planning, or a closely related field.
2. Experience: GSS I: None. GSS II: One (1) year of increasingly responsible experience in Geographic Information Systems.
3. Acceptable Substitutions: (GSS I only) Additional two (2) years of directly related work experience may be substituted for up to a maximum of two (2) years of the education requirement on a year-for-year basis.
4. Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will not prepare or file a labor condition application with the Dept. of Labor.
To Learn More and Apply
To view the full announcement for this exciting opportunity and apply online with the City of San José, please visit the City of San José’s employment page by clicking on the link below.
Then click on the “Prospective Employees” link.