Close Date: Oct 6, 2013
Salary: $10,135.00 - $12,162.00 Monthly
The City of Redwood City is seeking applicants for the position of Building Official. Under the direction of the Community Development Department Director, the Building Official provides leadership to the Building & Inspection division, and is responsible for planning, organizing, directing, and coordinating the operations and activities of the division. Essential duties include, but are not limited to: Direct and participate in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies, and priorities, and foster in others a commitment to city values; Manage and coordinate plan review, building inspection, and code enforcement activities associated with setting and ensuring compliance with building standards, Federal and State laws, and City code enforcement ordinances; Provide technical advice and information regarding the various codes, laws, and regulations regarding building construction to city staff, engineers, architects, contractors, and the public; Review proposed State and Federal legislation related to building inspection, recommend the City’s position on legislation, and revise the City’s building ordinance to conform to State requirements; Prepare and present reports and represent the Building Division at City Council, Planning Commission, other Boards and Commissions, and at professional and public meetings as required; Ensure coordination of work among various City departments and divisions for the plan check, inspection, and maintenance and compliance functions; Serve as liaison to government bodies, private firms, organizations or individuals to assist in achieving City objectives and ensuring compliance with appropriate laws and development standards; Prepare and administer building division budget in accordance with Council priorities; Participate in the selection of division staff; Manage, train, motivate and evaluate assigned staff; Provide exceptional customer service and enable staff to perform assigned responsibilities. This position may assume the duties and responsibilities of the Department Head in his/her absence, as assigned.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
Will embrace the City’s emphasis on excellent customer service; possess strong management skills and the proven ability to provide effective leadership; will be able to develop; monitor, and effectively communicate the status of work plans and projects; will be able to resolve complex issues or problems requiring sound analysis and independent judgment; will be a team player who likes working with a variety of City staff and the public.
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Education & Experience:
Five years of progressively responsible experience related to public, commercial, industrial and/or residential building design, construction, and inspection with at least two of those years in a lead or supervisory capacity; Equivalent to a Bachelors Degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in civil or structural code administration, engineering, architecture, construction management, or a closely related field. A Master’s degree in engineering, construction, architecture, public administration, business, or related field is desirable.
· Applicable Federal, State and municipal codes,, ordinances, and regulations and model codes
· Principals of structural design, plan checking, building inspection, architectural plan review, energy standards and accessibility standards,
· Engineering principles, construction methods and materials, building trades, contractors, and associations.
· Principles of organization, administration, budget and financial management.
· Principles of supervision, team building, training, performance management and employee relations.
· Organize, direct, assign, and coordinate the activities of a division in a manner conducive to full performance and high morale.
· Select, supervise, motivate, train, and evaluate assigned personnel.
· Read, understand and interpret complex plans, specifications, codes, rules, or and regulations;
· Analyze complex operational and administrative problems, evaluate alternatives and determine effective courses of action.
· Conduct field investigations and inspections; solve complex building inspection and code-related problems.
· Exercise sound judgment, flexibility, creativity and sensitivity in response to changing situations and needs.
· Establish, maintain and foster positive and harmonious working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
· Ability to work in a standard office environment; ability to walk, kneel, crouch, stoop, squat, reach, crawl, twist, climb, and lift 50 lbs.; exposure to outdoors, confined work spaces, dust, chemicals, electrical and mechanical hazards; and ability to travel to different sites.
License or Certificate:
· Possession of a valid International Conference of Building Officials (ICBO) Certification from the International Code Council as a plans checker examiner and combination commercial inspector, building official, and/or combination inspector issued by a
recognized state, national, or international association, or equivalent.
· Registration as a professional engineer or architect in the State of California, certification in green
building LEED AP, certification by the Division of State Architect as a Certified Access Specialist (CASp), and energy
certificate certification is highly desirable.
· Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate, a valid California driver's license with a satisfactory driving record.
An application is required.
Applications may be obtained in one of the following ways:
3. Call our 24-hour Job Hotlineat (650) 780-7292.
4. Visit the City of Redwood City Department of Human Resources (Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm) at 1017 Middlefield Road, Redwood City, California 94063
Candidates with a disability who may require special assistance in any phase of the application or selection process should advise the Department of Human Resources upon submittal of application.
All applications and resumes will be reviewed for relevant education, experience, training and other job related qualifications. Those who best meet the stated qualifications and requirements for the position will be invited to participate in the testing process, which will consist of an oral board interview. The specifics of the oral board interview will be sent to those qualifying candidates. The results of the oral board will determine the applicant’s standing on the eligibility list. The Community Development Director will make the final appointment from the top three candidates on the eligibility list. The Immigration Act of 1986 requires proof of identity and eligibility for employment at date of hire.
· Public Employees Retirement System (PERS).
· Opportunity to select from a variety of health plans that are administered by PERS under a cafeteria plan including health insurance, health care and dependent care reimbursement.
· Dental & vision insurance.
· Employee Assistance Program.
· Vacation at l0 days per year to 25 days after 20 years.
· Sick leave of 12 days per year.
· 14 paid holidays per year.
· Three days bereavement leave.
The City of Redwood City is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer!
NOTE: Earnings from this job are not covered under Social Security. When you retire you may receive a pension based on earnings from this job. If you do, your pension may affect the amount of Social Security benefits you may receive. For more information go to www.socialsecurity.gov/form1945
We are an exceptional organization and a leader in the Bay Area. The values that guide us are:
· EXCELLENCE: Passion to do our best in each moment.
· INTEGRITY: Do the right thing, not the easy thing.
· SERVICE: We care and it makes a difference.
· CREATIVITY: Freedom to imagine and courage to act.
The City of Redwood City is a great place to work!
Note: The provisions of this bulletin do not constitute an expressed or implied contract and any provisions contained in this bulletin may be modified or revoked without notice.