Close Date: Jun 12, 2013
Salary: $62,296.00 - $78,811.20 Annually
About the Department
The City of San José, the Capital of Silicon Valley, is one of the nation's best managed cities and one of the top ten cities in which to live, work, and do business. Moreover, San José is the center of cultural, government and economic activity for the region.
The Department of Public Works is responsible for delivering capital improvement projects for a wide variety of City facilities and infrastructure, maintaining City facilities and fleet assets, facilitating and regulating development activities, and providing animal care and services.
The department is committed to high-quality service, partnering with the community, and providing an excellent environment in which to work. We strive to constantly demonstrate the City values of Integrity, Innovation, Excellence, Collaboration, Respect, and Celebration, and seek employees who do the same.
Position and Duties
The Department is currently recruiting to fill multiple Civil Engineer positions; candidates selected for these positions may be assigned to work in the following areas:
Transportation and Hydraulics Services Division
The Engineers assigned to the Transportation and Hydraulics Services Division are responsible for various planning, preliminary engineering, project design, and construction management services for airport capital, traffic capital, sanitary sewer capital, storm capital, storm and sanitary master plan and San Jose/Santa Clara Regional Wastewater Facility capital projects.
Development Services Division
The Engineers assigned to the Development Services Division is responsible for the planning and construction of City infrastructure in conjunction with the private development process.
Under the direction of an Associate Civil Engineer, these candidates will perform the key responsibilities (but are not limited to) listed below:
* Develop and review plans and specifications and review submittals for conformance to established standards for major Capital Improvement projects;
* Review planning applications, traffic impact analyses, grading permits, subdivision maps, and street improvements for private development projects in accordance with adopted City Council policies and Public Works standards;
* Prepare resource and/or cost estimates;
* Perform field investigation;
* Administer consultant agreements;
* Supervise, schedule, assign and direct activities for Inspectors and/or Engineering Technicians, Student Interns, and Engineering Trainees;
* Review and make recommendations concerning proposed projects and resolve disputes between contractors, inspectors, developers, utilities, and consultants;
* Work collaboratively in a group or team environment and communicate clearly and effectively;
* Prepare a variety of correspondences and reports;
* Utilize various computer programs to analyze data and produce presentations;
* Provide customer service to developers, contractors, and the general public;
* Generate and maintain project information in the City's database system.
Salary Range: ($62,296 - $78,811 annually)
Any combination of training and experience equivalent to:
1. Education: Bachelor's degree from an accredited university or college in Engineering or a related field. Applicants who are enrolled in their final semester or quarter leading to graduation may apply prior to receiving their Baccalaureate Degree but will not be employed until they have graduated.
2. Experience: No minimum experience required.
3. Acceptable Substitutions: Certificate of successful completion of the Engineer-In-Training (EIT) examination issued by the California State Board of Registration for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors may be substituted for the required education.
4. Licensing Requirements:
* Possession of a Certificate of Registration as a Civil Engineer issued by the California State Board of Registration for Civil and Professional Engineers is desirable
* Possession of a valid drivers license in the State of California may be required.
5. Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will not prepare or file a labor condition application with the Department of Labor.
To Learn More and Apply
To view the full announcement for this exciting opportunity and apply online with the City of San José, please visit the City of San José’s employment page by clicking on the link below.
Then click on the “Prospective Employees” link.
City of San José Employment Page