Close Date: Jul 8, 2013
Salary: $68,286.40 - $83,096.00 Annually
About the Department
The City of San José, the Capital of Silicon Valley, is one of the nation's best managed cities and one of the top ten cities in which to live, work, and do business. Moreover, San José is the center of cultural, government and economic activity for the region. The employees of the City of San José have embraced the following values: Integrity, Innovation, Excellence, Collaboration, Respect and Celebration. The San José Fire Department is seeking an individual whose values align with the values of the City's employees.
The San José Fire Department's (SJFD) core mission is to serve the community by protecting life, property, and the environment through prevention and response. The Department protects approximately 200 square miles of terrain that includes residential, commercial, high-rise, and wildland interface areas.
Position and Duties
The department is seeking to fill approximately three Senior Public Safety Dispatcher positions in the coming fiscal year, July 1, 2013 - June 30, 2014. Incumbents in this classification perform the following duties but are not limited to:
- Supervise a team of Public Safety Radio Dispatchers (PSRD) assigned to a shift in the Communications Center.
- Uniformly apply the rules and regulations, policies, practices, and procedures of the Fire Department and Communications Section.
- Assign Public Safety Radio Dispatchers to work the various dispatch positions within the Communications Center.
- Conduct training sessions and drills to maintain the efficiency and coordination of their assigned team.
- Evaluate the performance of team members, gives frequent feedback to subordinates, and prepare written training evaluations and performance appraisals.
- Investigate and respond to citizen, department, and allied agency concerns or complaints.
- Approve time-off and other scheduling requests in accordance with established guidelines.
- Exercise good judgment in the performance of their duties, represent the department in the absence of Communications Senior Staff
- Coordinate with Chief Officers in the field in matters affecting department operations.
- Ensure that all equipment and resources are properly cared for and maintained.
- Perform additional support tasks when assigned to the Training Unit, Quality Improvement Unit, or Systems Support Unit.
- Perform all duties of the Public Safety Radio Dispatcher position.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
This recruitment may be used to fill positions that are open at this time and future openings as they occur, at the sole discretion of the San José Fire Department. If you are interested in employment in this classification, you should apply to ensure you are considered for current or future employment opportunities.
Any combination of training and experience equivalent to:
1. Education: Graduation from high school or equivalent (General Education Development (GED) Test or California Proficiency Certificate).
2. Experience: Three years of experience equivalent to a Public Safety Radio Dispatcher with the City of San José
3. Licenses or Certificates: Possession of a valid driver’s license authorizing operation of a motor vehicle in the State of California
4. Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San José will not prepare or file a labor condition application with the Dept. of Labor.
To Learn More and Apply
To view the full announcement for this exciting opportunity and apply online with the City of San José, please visit the City of San José’s employment page by clicking on the link below.
Then click on the “Prospective Employees” link.
City of San José Employment Page