Close Date: Until Filled
Salary: $13.42 - $18.69 Hourly
The City of Redwood City is looking for energetic people interested in working approximately 5 -10 hours per week, Monday-Sunday, varying hours, planning and presenting storytimes, organizing and conducting basic recreation activities, assisting with homework, shelving library materials, and supervising and monitoring youth customers in the main library or library branches.
Typical duties may include, but are not limited to the following: Plan and present storytimes for toddlers, preschoolers, and school-age children, lead a variety of recreation activities which may include, but are not limited to, arts and crafts, organized games, and music/singing activities; help students with homework needs; answer questions about locations of materials in library; prepare activity calendars or flyers; assist in organizing, promoting, and staffing special events; engage in outreach to schools and daycares; order and organize craft and game materials; create book displays; direct volunteers; report to supervisors orally and in writing; complete assigned paperwork such as timecards, attendance reports, and/or incident and accident reports; follow departmental and citywide rules and regulations as they relate to the supervision of recreation participants and general work procedures; perform related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
This is a highly visible and responsible position. Above all, the person in this position should present a positive image of the “personality of the Library” – making all people feel welcome and accepted at the Library.
This is a non-benefited casual position. A casual employee may not work more than 1000 hours per fiscal year.
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Education & Experience
Significant experience working with children and education equivalent to the completion of the 12th grade is required.
· Child development
· Children’s literature and storytelling
· Recreation activities, games, and crafts.
· Plan, organize and conduct storytimes for a variety of age groups
· Plan, organize and conduct a wide variety of recreation activities for all age groups and genders.
· Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
· Establish, maintain and foster positive and harmonious working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
· Must be physically capable of performing the essential job functions of this classification.
Applications may be obtained in one of the following ways:
1. Apply online at www.calopps.org, Member City: Redwood City
2. Visit our web site @ www.redwoodcity.org to print the application form
3. Call our 24-hour Job Hotline at (650) 780-7292.
4. Visit the City of Redwood City Department of Human Resources (Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm) at 1017 Middlefield Road, Redwood City, California 94063
Candidates with a disability, which may require special assistance in any phase of the application or selection process, should advise the Department of Human Resources upon submittal of application.
All applications will be reviewed for neatness, accuracy, completion, relevant education, experience, training and other job related qualifications. The most qualified applicants will be asked to participate in the testing process which will consist of an interview with Library Department staff. Prior to appointment, candidates will be required to pass a background check including fingerprint check at no cost to the candidate. Final appointment will be made by the Library Director. The Immigration Act of 1986 requires proof of identity and eligibility for employment at date of hire.
The City of Redwood City is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer!
We are an exceptional organization and a leader in the Bay Area. The values that guide us are:
· EXCELLENCE: Passion to do our best in each moment.
· INTEGRITY: Do the right thing, not the easy thing.
· SERVICE: We care and it makes a difference.
· CREATIVITY: Freedom to imagine and courage to act.
The City of Redwood City is a great place to work!
Note: The provisions of this bulletin do not constitute an expressed or implied contract and any provisions contained in this bulletin may be modified or revoked without notice.