Close Date: Jul 26, 2013
Salary: $4,308.00 - $5,232.00 Monthly
The City of Redwood City invites you to apply for the position of POLICE CLERK under the general supervision of a Records Supervisor within the Administrative Division. Typical duties may include the following: sort, file, copy and distribute crime reports, traffic reports, citations, petitions, subpoenas,and other materials to appropriate personnel; type correspondence and perform data entry, process court work,; operate a computer terminal; respond to inquiries from the public; perform fingerprinting (LiveScan); maintain files and permits on registered persons; act as front desk receptionist, answer various phones, electronic requests for service and other related responsibilities. All employees work a 9-80 work schedule; (9 hours 5 days 1st week; 9 hours 3 days, 8 hours 1 day 2nd week, ). Some flexibility in work scheduling is required.. The current opening is in the Police Department, and provides an excellent opportunity for a person seeking variety and challenge. This position is
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
Will embrace the City’s emphasis on excellent customer service; will be detail-oriented and able to manage multiple tasks; will use initiative and independent judgment, establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with Department personnel, supervisors, other City employees, and the general public.
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
The ability to type 45 WPM is preferred but not required. Your typing speed certificate is required at the time of application submission.
Education & Experience
Equivalent to completion of the twelfth grade. One year experience in specialized clerical duties applicable to a police operations environment that includes multi-tasking with public contact, record keeping, document processing and to perform related work as assigned. (These examples are neither restricted to nor all-encompassing of various types of duties performed under this job title)
· English usage, spelling, grammar, and punctuation
· Fluency in Spanish is highly desirable
· Office methods, procedures and equipment
· Knowledge of computer terminal for data entry, retrieval and preparation of statistical reports
· Learn and conform to Police Department procedures
· Learn Police terminology (Including laws governing release of information, Government Code and Public Records Act)
· Maintain confidential information and files
· Perform complex clerical work
· Perform record searches quickly and accurately
· Operatemodern office machines and equipment
· Effectively handle digital and internet-based service requests
· Work independently
· Understand and carry out both oral and written directions
· Prepare and complete reports accurately and efficiently
· Establish and maintain effective work relationships with those contacted in the performance of required duties
· A valid California Driver’s License and satisfactory driving record
· Ability to pass a state-mandated background investigation
Applications may be obtained in one of the following ways:
3. Call our 24-hour Job Hotlineat (650) 780-7292.
4. Visit the City of Redwood City Department of Human Resources (Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm) at 1017 Middlefield Road, Redwood City, California 94063
Candidates with a disability who may require special assistance in any phase of the application or selection process should advise the Department of Human Resources upon submittal of application.
All applications will be reviewed for accuracy, completion, relevant education, experience, training and other job related qualifications. Applications will be continuously reviewed and the most appropriately qualified applicants will be invited to participate in the testing process, which will consist of a written test and an oral board interview.
Potential applicants are advised to submit their applications as soon as possible as the position may be filled from the initial testing process. All applications must be received no later than 5:00 p.m. on Friday, July 26, 2013. A City of Redwood City Application is required. Postmarks will not be accepted.
The results of the testing process will determine the applicant’s standing on the eligibility list. Final appointment will be made by the Chief of Police from the top three candidates on the eligibility list. Applicants will be required to complete an extensive personal history form to assist in the law enforcement background check. Applicants will be subject to fingerprinting and photographs, at no cost to the applicant.
The Immigration Act of 1986 requires proof of identity and eligibility for employment at date of hire.
The City of Redwood City is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer!
The successful candidate will enjoy the following benefits:
· Public Employees Retirement System (PERS) 2%@60, 2%@ 62 for new members.
· Opportunity to select from a variety of health plans that are administered by PERS under a cafeteria plan including health insurance, health care and dependent care reimbursement
· Dental & vision insurance
· Employee Assistance Program
· Vacation at l0 days per year to 25 days after 20 years
· Sick leave of 12 days per year
· Twelve paid holidays per year
· Three days bereavement leave
· Upon receiving bilingual certification, employees may receive additional compensation
NOTE: Earnings from this job are not covered under Social Security. When you retire you may receive a pension based on earnings from this job. If you do, your pension may affect the amount of Social Security benefits you may receive. For more information go to www.socialsecurity.gov/form1945
We are an exceptional organization and a leader in the Bay Area. The values that guide us are:
· EXCELLENCE: Passion to do our best in each moment.
· INTEGRITY: Do the right thing, not the easy thing.
· SERVICE: We care and it makes a difference.
· CREATIVITY: Freedom to imagine and courage to act.
The City of Redwood City is a great place to work!
Note: The provisions of this bulletin do not constitute an expressed or implied contract and any provisions contained in this bulletin may be modified or revoked without notice.