Close Date: Aug 22, 2013
Salary: $5,577.00 - $7,533.00 Monthly
$5577-7533 / month plus excellent benefits
plus Paramedic Incentive after completion of probationary period
LAST DAY TO APPLY: Thursday, August 22, 2013 by 5:00 pm
- Please attach ONLY the required documents to your online application.
- Do NOT submit an application without the required attachments. Applications that do not include the required documents will NOT be considered.
The San Rafael Fire Department is a full-service department, providing services in fire protection and emergency medical care including patient transport services, disaster response and community support. Firefighters with the San Rafael Fire Department have a wide array of responsibilities including responding to emergency calls in an effort to protect life, property, and the environment, as well as completing activities related to community education in the areas of safety and fire prevention. Firefighters participate in comprehensive classroom and field-exercise training programs in order to be qualified to provide a high standard of emergency response and public service.
Paramedic License Requirements: Must have a valid California Paramedic License or national Registry Paramedic Certification Card* at the time of application.
*NOTE: The California Paramedic License must be obtained and maintained prior to appointment
IMPORTANT AND ESSENTIAL DUTIES:
· Perform firefighting and fire prevention activities in an effort to protect life and property
· Participate in training sessions designed to maintain and enhance required skills
· Conduct fire and life safety inspections
· Provide emergency medical care
· Drive and operate fire apparatus and related equipment
· Work on a medical transport unit as assigned
KNOWLEDGE OF AND ABILITY TO:
· Demonstrate a strong foundational knowledge base in the areas of fire prevention and suppression, operation of fire equipment, department operations and emergency medical care
· Establish and maintain effective working relationships with coworkers and the public
· Demonstrate effective written and oral communications
· Maintain adequate physical fitness
· Perform professionally in a non-traditional work schedule that includes nights, weekends, and holidays
REQUIRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, CERTIFICATIONS AND LICENSES:
- Possession of a high school diploma or GED
- Completion of at least 21 college units
- Possession of a valid California Class C Driver License and a satisfactory driving record
- Completion of CA State Board of Fire Services Firefighter I curriculum (Academy Graduate) [1-year as a paid firefighter will be accepted in lieu of completion of the Firefighter I curriculum]
- EMT-P Certification
- Valid CPAT card dated after February 22, 2013
- Must possess a valid California Paramedic License with the ability to become accredited by the Marin County Emergency Medical Services Agency at the time of appointment
While performing this job, the employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms and climb or balance. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and smell. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Candidates must apply online at www.calopps.org. Resumes do not substitute for the online application, but may be attached as a PDF document.
Copies of the following documentation MUST be uploaded with the online application as ONE (1) PDF file no larger than 2MB:
- CPAT card dated on or after February 22, 2013; NO EXCEPTIONS. Cards dated prior to February 22nd will not be accepted. Information on the CPAT is available at http://www.cffjac.org/jac/cpat/index.cfm.
- Proof of completion of CA State Board of Fire Services Firefighter I curriculum.
- Valid California Paramedic License.
ONLY the documents listed above should be attached to the application. Documents will only be accepted online. Any other documents attached will not be reviewed at this time. Applications that do not include the above stated documents will NOT be considered.
The examination for this recruitment will consist of the following: application appraisal, CPS written objective examination, oral board interview examination and/or performance examination, a Fire Chief’s interview, background check, fingerprint clearance, psychological exam, and a pre-placement physical examination, including a drug screen.
TESTING and SELECTION PROCESS:
Qualified candidates will be invited to the written exam scheduled for Saturday, September 21, 2013. This is the only date the written exam will be given. Information on the written exam will be sent via email after August 26, 2013.
The City will host an orientation session for interested candidates to learn more about the City of San Rafael Fire Department. During this orientation, we will cover test preparation and what the department is looking for in a firefighter. Attendees will also have the opportunity to learn about the City of San Rafael in general and the issues facing fire service today. This session will be held on Thursday, August 1st from 6:30 to 8:30 pm in the Council Chambers at City Hall, 1400 Fifth Avenue, San Rafael, CA 94901. Please e-mail email@example.com to RSVP for this event.