Close Date: Aug 7, 2013
Salary: $6,125.00 - $7,445.00 Monthly
First Review of Applicants: July 31st, 2013
Pay Incentives for Intermediate or Advanced P.O.S.T. Certificates
Bilingual skills can enhance salary
The City of San Rafael is recruiting for a Lateral or Academy Graduate Police Officer. This position performs a wide variety of peace officer duties involving the protection of life and property, enforcement of laws and ordinances, criminal investigation, crime prevention and suppression. Police officers prepare cases and provide courtroom testimony, provide information and assistance to the public and perform special assignments in areas such as patrol, traffic, investigations and gang enforcement. General supervision is provided by the Police Sergeant. Responsibilities may include the direct supervision of officers in training and/or the indirect supervision of other officers and/or support staff.
This position performs the following essential job duties:
- Patrols an assigned area in a radio car, on motorcycle or on foot to observe and report suspicious activities or hazardous conditions for the prevention and detection of crime; arrests law violators in accordance with applicable statutory and case laws.
- Answers routine and emergency calls for protection of life and property and the enforcement of City, County, State and Federal laws, codes and ordinances.
- Investigates crimes, accidents, deaths and disturbances; collects, preserves and presents evidence using scientific identification techniques; interviews, questions and/or takes statements from victims, witnesses and suspects and completes investigative reports.
- Directs traffic, including regulation of vehicle flow at emergency or congested places, stops drivers who are operating vehicles in violation of laws and issues citations or warnings as appropriate.
- Appears in court to present evidence and testimony in connection with criminal prosecution and/or civil cases; serves writs, warrants, subpoenas and other legal documents.
- Provides information and direction to the public; assists in developing community policing strategies; maintains effective public relations and makes public service appearances.
- Provides emergency first aid and/or assistance to injured or incapacitated persons and requests additional emergency medical services as necessary.
- Searches, guards, transports and assists in the booking and custodial care of prisoners.
- Handles missing person cases; takes custody of runaway or delinquent juveniles; investigates child welfare cases involving potential mental, physical or sexual abuse.
- Assists with emergency or planned events, including natural disasters, fires, parades, and crowd control; participates in special details and assignments.
- Directs, instructs, and supervises officers in training; conducts in-service and/or briefing training.
To be eligible for the Police Officer position you must have knowledge of:
- Modern police methods and procedures.
- Statutory and case laws and ordinances related to evidence, search and seizure.
- City and Department policies and procedures.
- Local geography, demographics and community concerns and/or issues.
- Community oriented policing and problem-solving.
- Information technology, personal computers and related software applications.
To be eligible for the Police Officer position you must possess the ability to:
- Think and act quickly in emergency situations.
- Understand and follow written and verbal directions.
- Interpret and explain laws, rules and regulations.
- Operate a variety of public safety equipment, including computers and related applications.
- Establish and maintain cooperative relationships with the public and fellow employees.
Education and Experience:
Must possess a California P.O.S.T. Certified Basic Law Enforcement Academy Certificate. Candidates must have completed the P.O.S.T. Basic Academy. Note: In conformance with P.O.S.T. regulations, applicants separated from active law enforcement in excess of three years must repeat the State Basic Training Standards and would not be considered for appointment on a lateral entry basis.
Candidate must be high school graduate or its equivalent. Completion of 45 semester (or equivalent quarter) units from an accredited college or university is preferred. Prefer candidates with bilingual skills.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to sit and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and taste or smell. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100+ pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCESS:
Resumes do not substitute for the City application. Candidates should detail related education and experience on the application since this information will be used to determine who will be invited to participate in the next phase of the examination process. The examination process may include any or all of the following: application appraisal, written examination, oral board interview examination and/or performance examination. Note: Prior to appointment, candidate must pass a pre-placement physical examination, drug screen, in depth background check, a psychological exam and fingerprinting.
Reasonable Accommodation: The City of San Rafael will make reasonable accommodations in the exam process to accommodate disabled applicants. If you have a disability for which you require an accommodation, please contact us at (415) 485-3063 before the test date.