Close Date: Aug 5, 2013
Salary: $6,558.00 - $7,972.00 Monthly
Final filing date: 5:00pm, Monday, August 5, 2013
Tentative Interview Date: Week of August 19, 2013
About the Position
Under direction from the Information Technology Manager, this classification is responsible for the operations, maintenance and support of the City’s desktop computer systems, telephone equipment and peripherals, and development and maintenance of the City intra and internet websites. The position assists with the administration of the City’s servers and local and wide area networks and may exercise functional supervision over contract help and vendors, including the City’s Geographic Information System (GIS).
· Performs desktop support on hardware, and peripherals, including software configuration and installation
· Responsible for helping with the implementation of database systems and web based applications
· Assists with technical LAN and WAN support activities.
· Knowledge of Geographic Information System (GIS)
· Performs troubleshooting and diagnostic services to determine the cause of hardware and software problems and provide timely resolution of same.
· Performs Internet and Intranet web design and maintenance duties.
· Maintains proficiency with current commercial Web server environments
· Microsoft Exchange e-mail server management and configuration.
· Maintains expertise in City standard hardware and software products.
· Provides high level of internal and external customer service
· Assists the Information Technology Manager with hardware and software vendors for the proper acquisition, installation, operation and maintenance of City desktop resources.
· Relocate or modify hardware as needed
· Wiping of data and disposal of assets per City of San Carlos’ policy
· Provide support for the San Carlos TV channel
· Write clear, concise and accurate documentation on work procedures
· Assist with inventory control using asset tags
· Assist with tracking licenses and software
· Detect and remove spyware, viruses and other malware
· Participates on project teams to ensure successful implementation of new systems or upgrades to existing systems.
· Assists with the management and maintenance of the City’s servers and networks Compiles and maintains server and network documentation
Job-Related and Essential Qualifications
Knowledge of desktop computer hardware, software, peripherals, desktop support functions, state of the art networks, Internet and Intranet web design, hardware and software resources.
Knowledge of HTML and Web content management system (CMS).
Knowledge of Windows-specific client tools, such as Visual Basic, PowerShell and ASP.Net.
Knowledge of Microsoft Exchange administration, basic user administration, proficiency with Microsoft Office 2007/2010/2013, and Windows 7 and 8.
Knowledge of Microsoft Operating System, Windows Server 2003/2008, Active Directory and Hyper-V. Knowledge of Cisco networking and VoIP.
Experience with client/server database technology and application development tools, with ability to support applications products.
Experience with Web server configuration, management, and applications development tools such as IIS, ASP and integration of these with backend databases using MS SQL.
Ability to perform desktop computer installations and peripheral configurations, installation of operating and application software, creation of accounts, and security.
Ability to diagnose communications, hardware and software problems and take effective action to resolve problems in a timely manner.
Ability to understand emerging technology and its application to improve services.
Ability to use the Internet, remote communications, and other advanced tools to increase productivity and perform job functions.
Ability to define the business requirement for departmental web-based projects, and implement these projects.
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with subordinates, peers, superiors, vendor representatives and customers.
Education and Training
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be education equivalent to an Associate’s degree from an accredited post-secondary institution in computer science, information systems or a closely related field. Qualifying background would be two years’ experience in desktop hardware and software configuration, installation, maintenance and support. Experience working in a public agency environment is desirable.
Speak clearly and understandably, possess the ability and dexterity to operate a computer, to hear voices, to read, to write, and to teach effectively. Lift up to 50 lbs. Dexterity to use small tools. Ability to kneel, crawl, and twist.
Licenses and Certifications
Incumbents must be able to travel to various locations within and outside the City of San Carlos to fulfill job responsibilities. When driving on City business, maintenance of a valid California driver's license is required.
*PERS Retirement: 2% @ 55 for "classic CalPERS members" or 2% @ 62 for "new CalPERS members" as defined by CalPERS
*The City of San Carlos participates in Social Security
*Employee & family medical insurance and dental reimbursement plan; employee vision insurance
*City-paid $100,000 basic life insurance, accidental death & dismemberment, and long-term disability insurance
*Voluntary Deferred Compensation Plan 457(b)
*Flexible Spending Plans (Medical and Dependent Care)
*Employee Assistance Program
*12 – 25 vacation days/year; 12 sick days/year, 10 paid holidays/year, up to 40 hours float leave/year