Close Date: Aug 16, 2013
Salary: $5,873.00 - $8,045.00 Monthly
Town of Danville
SALARY: $5,873 - $8,045/month, 37.5 hr. work week, benefitted position
Under administrative direction of the Chief Building Official, to coordinate division plan review activities; to perform review of construction plans, calculations and specifications in the building inspection program for compliance with pertinent codes, ordinances and building laws; to provide technical assistance and support to Building Division staff; to act as technical advisor to Town staff on code compliance issues; and to do related work as required by the Chief Building Official.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
Essential job duties for this position are:
* the abilities to articulate complex building issues to the public;
* consult with contractors, designers and property owners regarding safety requirements of building design;
* answer questions and give instruction regarding building requirements compliance standards;
* make independent analysis when required to justify the adequacy and safety of questionable designs.
* Additional duties include advising and assisting planning, engineering and code enforcement personnel regarding building-related issues.
* Candidate must have the necessary manual dexterity to climb ladders on multi-story structures and to crawl and work in confined areas and spaces.
* Candidate must possess audio and visual capabilities to converse by telephone, the ability to read and interpret various codes and to apply good judgment in the enforcement of same; and the ability to write clear and complete correction notices and inspection reports.
Provide field inspections on an as-needed basis. Provide information to the public on building regulations and Town requirements. Respond to requests for information and project history.
* Federal, State, and local laws, codes and ordinances relating to building construction and zoning, including State Energy and Accessibility standards.
* Types of building materials, testing procedures and methods of construction.
* Principles and techniques of building inspection, plan checking and good public relations.
* Modern office methods including computer applications.
* Prepare technical reports and general correspondence.
* Communicate effectively in written and oral form.
* Read and interpret building plans, detail sketches, calculations and specifications.
* Enforce codes with good judgment & impartiality.
* Apply technical knowledge of building trades.
* Meet and converse tactfully with the public.
* Provide a high level of customer service to all contacts.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
Four years of recent, paid experience conducting building, electrical, mechanical, and plumbing inspections and/or plan checking of same. Municipal experience is desirable.
Graduation from high school or equivalent. A Bachelors degree in architecture or civil engineering may substitute for the required inspection or plan checking experience.
Possession of a valid Class C, California Driver License is required.
ICC certification as Building Plans Examiner.
Certificates in Building, Electrical, Mechanical, and Plumbing.
Registration as a Civil Engineer in the State of California may be substituted for ICC certifications at time of hire.
FINAL FILING DATE: August 16, 2013 at 5:00 p.m.
Qualified persons interested in applying for this position should submit an on-line Town of Danville application at www.danville.ca.gov (Council & Govt/employment/Job Openings)
The most qualified applicants will be invited to participate in the interview process. The appointee will be selected from among those determined to be the best qualified.
In accordance with the Federal Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), if special accommodations are necessary at any stage of the selection process, please contact the Human Resources Department at (925) 314-3376.
Work periods and workdays are subject to change dependent on the operational requirements of the Town. The information contained in this announcement is subject to change and does not constitute either an expressed or implied contract. Prior to appointment it will be necessary to provide proof of United States Citizenship or authorization to work in the United States. The Town of Danville is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Employees of the Town receive a fixed allotment for medical and dental and may choose from a Kaiser or HealthNet HMO and Delta Dental plan. The Town provides both short term and long-term disability insurance and term life insurance.
Vacation/Sick Leave (General Leave):
20 working days/year the first year;
22 working days/year after 1 year;
27 working days/year after 5 years;
30 working days/year after 9 years.
The Town provides a 401(a) pension plan and a 457 deferred compensation program administered by Lincoln Financial Advisors. Employees will be 20% vested in the amounts contributed by the Town to their 401(a) pension plan after the completion of one year and an additional 20% per year thereafter until fully vested at the end of five years uninterrupted employment. Note: The Town does not participate in State Disability Insurance or Social Security, except for Federal Medicare Insurance.
Located approximately 40 miles east of San Francisco, Danville is located in the center of the San Ramon Valley. Comprising 20 square miles at the foot of Mount Diablo, Danville features quality housing, a progressive educational system, and a historic downtown village. Danville's current population is 42,457. The San Ramon Valley, part of the growing I-680 corridor, has become a popular location for professional and retail complexes, light industry, as well as convenient, yet secluded, living.
Updated: July, 2013