Close Date: Sep 13, 2013
Salary: $23.49 - $28.54 Hourly
The City of Saratoga is recruiting for the position of
PARKS MAINTENANCE WORKER I
Parks Division, Public Works Department, Step 1 23.49/hr – Step 5 28.54/hr (5-Step Range)
LAST DAY TO APPLY: FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 13, 2013, AT 5:00 P.M. Apply online through www.calopps.org and click on Member Agencies, followed by the City of Saratoga. As part of the online application process, please attach your resume and the answers to the required supplemental questionnaire.
SUPPLEMENTAL INFORMATION REQUIREMENT: Your answers to the following questions must be submitted with your application or your application will be considered incomplete.
1. Please describe your prior work experience maintaining turf, trees, shrubs, groundcover, top dressings, irrigation systems, and related equipment or facilities.
2. Please describe the steps you take each day to ensure you are performing your assigned maintenance work in a safe manner.
IDEAL CANDIDATE ATTRIBUTES
• Initiate and willingness to learn and apply procedures or methods.
• Commitment to exceptional customer service.
• Commitment to working cooperatively with others to accomplish established work goals.
• Strong organizational skills and the ability to manage time effectively to ensure that all tasks and assignments are completed in a timely manner.
• Ability to accurately complete work and tasks while paying close attention to all details.
• Commitment to safety requirements and practices and track record of identifying safety issues and taking corrective action.
The duties described below are intended to provide only a summary of the typical functions of the job.
• Maintenance of turf, trees, shrubs, groundcover, top dressings, irrigation systems, playground equipment, park furnishings, restrooms, and sport field equipment.
• Operate and understand basic maintenance procedures for various power turf equipment, including but not limited to mowers of various sizes, edgers, blowers, chainsaws, and related equipment as required.
• Perform a wide variety of skilled tasks involving the use of power equipment and hand tools in the areas of park and grounds maintenance, irrigation system installation, programming, and maintenance.
• Tree / shrub trimming maintenance.
• Perform the installation, maintenance and repair of various parks and grounds improvements, planting and trimming of trees / shrubs.
• Understand fertilizer and herbicide products and application related to turf and ornamental plant care.
• As assigned, work weekends, and odd and unusual hours in the performance of duties and emergency situations.
• Perform other related duties as assigned.
• Maintain from beginning to end of employment a valid California Class C driver’s license and a safe driving record necessary to perform the essential functions of the position including operation of City vehicles with and without a trailer, transporting personnel, and hauling materials and equipment to and from various work sites.
• Work weekends and holidays, as assigned.
• Work stand by and call out (call back) on a scheduled basis, as assigned.
• Work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions.
• Participate in required training as assigned.
• Prepare and maintain accurate records applicable to work assignment.
• Operate and perform routine maintenance of equipment, as required.
• Perform routine safety checks of equipment, as required.
• Assist in work required to maintain City in clean conditions.
• Establish and maintain cooperative working relationship with those contacted in the course of work, including the general public.
• Represent the City in contacts with the community inquiring about City services, refers complaints to supervisor.
• Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
• Demonstrate and promote technical aptitude within the assigned division.
• Perform daily record keeping and reporting.
• Work in a team-based environment and achieve common goals.
• Read standard detailed drawings.
• Comply with all City safety requirements and practices.
• Comply with operating procedures and policies within the work unit, public works maintenance practices, materials, equipment, and tools.
• Perform all of the essential functions of the job assignment.
Graduation from high school or equivalent and one (1) year of related experience. Valid California Class C driver’s license and a safe driving record. Possession of California Department of Food and Agriculture Qualified Applicator Certificate (QAC) in category B, C, or F desired.
Must possess strength, stamina and mobility to perform heavy physical work outside in all weather conditions and with exposure to potentially hazardous conditions, use varied hand and power tools, drive a motor vehicle and/or heavy construction equipment; lift and move materials and equipment weighing up to 90 pounds and heavier weights with the use of proper equipment; vision to read printed materials and a computer screen; and hearing and speech to communicate in person and over the telephone and/or radio. Must be available for regular standby assignments and work scheduled off-hours and emergency overtime as required. Incumbent must be willing to work outside in all weather conditions and with exposure to traffic and potentially hazardous conditions.
Under California law (California Government Code Section 3100-3109), all City of Saratoga employees are designated as Disaster Service Workers, (DSW). In the event of a catastrophic event, City of Saratoga employees may be expected to fulfill emergency action assignments. As DSW's, employees may be assigned to assist in any disaster service activity that promotes the protection of public health and safety and preservation of lives and property.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS