Close Date: Feb 18, 2014
Salary: $47,860.80 - $58,177.60 Annually
About the Department
The City of San José, the Capital of Silicon Valley, is one of the nation's best managed cities and one of the top ten cities in which to live, work, and do business. Moreover, San José is the center of cultural, government and economic activity for the region. The employees of the City of San José have embraced the following values: Integrity, Innovation, Excellence, Collaboration, Respect and Celebration.
The City's Parks, Recreation and Neighborhood Services Department is seeking individuals whose values align with the values of the City's employees.
The Parks, Recreation and Neighborhood Services Department supports the livability of neighborhoods, offers opportunities for individuals to enjoy life, and strengthens communities of people.
Position and Duties
The Recreation Program Specialist supports the Department's mission of providing quality recreation programs to the residents of San Jose. Under the direction of the Recreation Supervisor, the position requires recreation professionals with extensive recreation experience to work with a team of recreation staff at a hub community center to deliver programs and services that meet the needs of a specific population within a given community service area. Responsibilities will include, but may not be limited to the following:
- Development, coordination, promotion and evaluation of various recreation based programs for youth, seniors, leisure class, fitness, health and wellness, and people with disabilities.
- Management and maintenance of facilities such as fitness centers, gymnasiums, community center facilities and associated equipment.
- Hiring and supervising of part time staff such as Recreation Leaders, Class Instructors and volunteers.
- Coordination and management of various sports leagues, summer camps, and school based recreation programming.
- Development of innovative revenue generating programs.
- Working with a diverse population.
- Collaborating with internal and external partners and businesses.
Positions may be required to work early morning, late evenings and/or weekends.
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in this, or other divisions or departments. If you are interested in employment in this classification, you should apply to ensure you are considered for additional opportunities that may utilize the applicants from this recruitment.
Any combination of training and experience equivalent to:
1. Education: Completion of a Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university in Recreation Leisure Services or closely related field.
2. Experience: One year of full-time (2080 hours) recreation leadership or programming experience.
3. Acceptable Substitutions: Additional years of increasingly responsible recreation leadership or programming experience may be substituted for the education requirement on a year-for-year basis for up to two (2) years. There will be no substitute for required one year of full-time recreation leadership or programming experience.
4. Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San José will not prepare or file a labor condition application with the Department of Labor.
To Learn More and Apply
To view the full announcement for this exciting opportunity and apply online with the City of San José, please visit the City of San José’s employment page by clicking on the link below.
Then click on the “Prospective Employees” link.
City of San José Employment Page