Close Date: Jun 9, 2014
Salary: $8.62 - $13.89 Hourly
The City of Redwood City is looking for people interested in working 20-40 hours per week planning, organizing and conducting basic recreation activities in a variety of settings selected by the Parks, Recreation and Community Services Department.
Typical duties may include, but are not limited to the following: Plan, organize and conduct recreation activities for youth; lead a variety of recreation activities which may include, but are not limited to: arts and crafts, organized games, sports, drama, social recreation and music/singing activities; supervise recreation participants, insuring that proper safety precautions are observed in assigned activities and free play; maintain and care for equipment; prepare activity calendars, bulletin boards, lesson plans and/or coaching strategies as appropriate to help promote and plan recreation activities effectively; assist in organizing, promoting, directing and staffing special events; report to supervisors orally and in writing; complete assigned paperwork, such as timecards, attendance reports and/or incident and accident reports; follow Departmental and Citywide rules and regulations as they relate to the supervision of recreation participants and general work procedures; perform related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
This is a non-benefited casual position. A casual employee may not work more than 1000 hours per year.
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Education & Experience
Students must secure a work permit from their school. Some experience in a recreation setting preferred but not required.
· Leadership techniques.
· Specialized recreation activities.
· Plan, organize and conduct a wide variety of recreation activities for all age groups and genders.
· Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
· Establish, maintain and foster positive and harmonious working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid California Driver’s license and satisfactory driving record may be required. Must be physically capable of performing the essential job functions of this classification.
Applications may be obtained in one of the following ways:
1. Apply online at www.calopps.org, Member City: Redwood City
2. Visit our web site @ www.redwoodcity.org to print the application form
3. Call our 24-hour Job Hotline at (650) 780-7292.
4. Visit the City of Redwood City Department of Human Resources (Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm) at 1017 Middlefield Road, Redwood City, California 94063
5. Visit the City of Redwood City Red Morton Community Center (Monday-Friday, 7am-10pm, Saturday, 9am – 9pm) at 1120 Roosevelt Avenue, Redwood City, California 94061
Candidates with a disability, which may require special assistance in any phase of the application or selection process, should advise the Department of Human Resources upon submittal of application.
All applications will be reviewed for neatness, accuracy, completion, relevant education, experience, training and other job related qualifications. The most qualified applicants will be asked to participate in the testing process which will consist of an interview with Parks, Recreation and Community Services Department staff. Prior to appointment, candidates will be required to pass a background check including fingerprint check, and TB screening at no cost to the candidate. Final appointment will be made by the Parks, Recreation and Community Services Director. The Immigration Act of 1986 requires proof of identity and eligibility for employment at date of hire.
The City of Redwood City is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer!
We are an exceptional organization and a leader in the Bay Area. The values that guide us are:
· EXCELLENCE: Passion to do our best in each moment.
· INTEGRITY: Do the right thing, not the easy thing.
· SERVICE: We care and it makes a difference.
· CREATIVITY: Freedom to imagine and courage to act.
The City of Redwood City is a great place to work!
Note: The provisions of this bulletin do not constitute an expressed or implied contract and any provisions contained in this bulletin may be modified or revoked without notice.
This job is closed