Close Date: Aug 6, 2015
Salary: $6,699.00 - $8,219.00 Monthly
The City of San Bruno is recruiting for
Filing Deadline: Open Until Filled (On-going)
Annual Salary: $80,388 - $98,628
IMPORTANT NOTE: Please “attach” a valid POST Certificate dated within the past 30 months from date of potential hire (or proof of current enrollment in a POST Basic Training Academy) when submitting your application. Applications without a valid POST Certificate (or proof of enrollment) attached will be considered incomplete. For technical assistance, please contact Monica Walker at (650) 616-7110.
The San Bruno Police Department has a long-standing tradition of small-town service with a big-city dedication to public safety. The department employs a community-oriented policing and problem-solving philosophy where members of the organization are encouraged to develop innovative strategies to improve police operations and service to the community.
The department also provides a number of specialty assignments including: Bicycle Patrol, Canines, Corporals, Detectives, and a Motorcycle Traffic Division. In addition, the department participates in the County’s regional Narcotics Task Force and Tactical (SWAT/HNT) Response Team.
Candidates hired in this position will work on assigned, rotating shifts, patrolling City streets, parks, commercial and residential areas to preserve the peace; provide traffic control, investigation and first aid at accidents,detection, investigation and arrest of persons involved in crimes or misconduct; respond to emergency calls and investigate robberies, civil disturbances, domestic disputes, fights, drunkenness, missing children, prowlers, abuse of drugs, and other criminal activity; take appropriate law enforcement action; serve and protect the public, and perform additional duties as required.
· Educational incentive pay up to 8.5% of base pay
· Enrollment into CalPERS retirement program (formula dependent on candidate’s status)
· Medical, dental and vision insurance provided with employee contribution
· Life insurance equal to one year’s annual salary provided at no cost
· Long term disability insurance provided at no cost
· 10-23 vacation days per year depending on length of service
· Employee Home Loan Assistance Program
· Opportunity for 2.5% bilingual pay
· Physical fitness program
· Deferred compensation programs
· Credit union membership
· Tuition reimbursement program
· Section 125 flexible benefit plan
· Must be at least 21 years of age at date of hire
· Felony convictions and disqualifying criminal history are not allowed
· U.S. citizenship or a permanent resident alien who is eligible, and has applied for, U.S. citizenship
· High school graduate or GED. Completion of a two-year community college degree or vocational school training in police science, law enforcement, criminal justice administration, public administration, or a related field is preferred
· Must posses, or be able to obtain and maintain, a valid California Driver’s license
· Must meet all basic requirements AND possess a California POST Basic Training Police Academy certificate within the past thirty (30) months from the date of potential hire, or provide proof of current enrollment in a California POST Basic Training Police Academy and must successfully complete the academy prior to appointment.
· Must meet all basic requirements AND be currently employed as a full-time, paid, sworn police officer for at least two (2) years or have been employed for at least two (2) years as a full-time, paid, sworn police officer in a civilian governmental jurisdiction prior to application.
· Must possess a valid California POST Basic Certificate or equivalent as approved by POST.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
Applicants should possess the knowledge and ability to exercise sound judgment in evaluating situations and making decisions; perform work requiring good physical condition; good customer service; communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing; relate to the public in a professional, tactfuland effective manner; establish, maintain, and foster positive working relationship with those contacted in the course of work.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates may apply on-line at www.calopps.org. Applicants must attach a copy of a valid POST Certificate dated within the past 30 months from date of potential hire –or– proof of enrollment in a POST Basic Training Police Academy in order to be considered. Applications that do not have the required document(s) attached will be considered incomplete. For technical assistance, please contact Monica Walker at (650) 616-7110.
Recruitment is open until filled.
The City of San Bruno is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and as such does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, sex, gender, religion, ancestry, physical or mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or national origin in its employment actions, decisions, policies and practices. If you require special accommodations, please contact us to discuss your needs.