Close Date: Apr 7, 2014
Salary: $11.13 - $13.52 Hourly
The lifeguard/Instructor is the journey class responsible for conducting swim lessons and monitoring swimmers in and around the pool. The incumbent instructs a variety of swim programs and activities at the City pool, and ensures the safe use of the public facility.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (include but are not limited to the following)
· Conducts a variety of swim lessons depending on the programs and activities offered by the City’s Recreation Services Division; acts as a swim coach as assigned; may attend training courses on coaching.
· Supervises the activities of swimmers in and around the pool; ensures that policies, rules and regulations are observed and that no safety hazards are created; maintains pool safety.
· Provides instructional material to program participants.
· Participates in the cleaning and maintenance of the pool and its facilities and equipment; maintains the pool area, deck, locker room etc. for cleanliness and safety.
· Administers first aid in the event of injuries.
· Assists in opening and closing the pool facility.
· Rescues persons in distress or danger of drowning.
· Warns swimmers of improper activities or dangers.
· Completes incident reports in the case of an accident.
· Responds to the public; answers inquiries and gives information pertaining to the pool, the facility, and the swimming programs that are offered.
· Acts as an instructor as assigned and opens and closes the facility in the absence of an Assistant Pool Manager or the Recreation Services Supervisor.
· Establishes positive working relationships with representatives of community organizations, state/local agencies, District management and staff, and the public.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Any combination of education and experience that has provided the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary for a Lifeguard. A typical way of obtaining the required qualifications is to be at least fifteen years of age, and have completed sophomore year of high school or a minimum of two (2) years in the City of Covina Volunteen Jr. Lifeguard Program. Previous lifeguard experience is desirable.
REQUIRED CERTIFICATES: Possession of, or ability to obtain a valid class C California driver’s license, unless underage (If you do not have a license type zero's on the application "0"). Possession of the following certificates: American Red Cross Lifeguard Training, CPR for the Professional Rescuer, Title 22 Certificate, and American Red Cross First Aid.
Please click on the link below for information on the City of Covina's Lifeguard and Lifeguard Instructor Camps:
By reason of part-time status, such employees are not eligible for full-time benefits but are subject to deductions for Public Agency Retirement Services (PARS). The City does not participate in the Social Security System.