Close Date: May 6, 2014
Salary: $3,387.00 - $4,766.00 Monthly
FINAL FILING DATE: We are accepting the first 50 qualified applications, or closing at 5:00 pm, May 6, 2014; whichever occurs first.
TENTATIVE EXAM DATE: Oral Interview, May 15 & 16, 2014
IT IS MANDATORY THAT YOU COMPLETE THE SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONNAIRE. YOUR APPLICATION WILL BE REJECTED IF YOU DO NOT PROVIDE ALL NECESSARY INFORMATION.
The Human Resources Department is accepting applications for the regular and full-time position of Information Technology Planning and Policy Technician in the Information Technology Department. The normal work schedule is Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
To perform responsible technical duties related to the development and maintenance of best practices as they relate to information technology services and projects; to develop reports related to project activity and status; and to provide technical support to departmental staff.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED:
• Receives general supervision from the Information Technology Planning and Policy Supervisor.
EXAMPLE OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES – Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Maintain and update existing departmental policies and procedures as they relate to information technology service delivery; work collaboratively with departmental staff to identify procedures in need of revision.
• Develop, compile and summarize survey data related to a wide variety of information technology support activities.
• Conduct research and assist with the development of best practices related to project management methodologies and information technology support activities.
• Develop and update training documents for use by departmental staff and other departments.
• Assist with the documentation of business processes and procedures; monitor service level agreements with other departments and outside vendors.
• Track status of existing projects; develop project status reports; serve as resource to departmental staff and other departments related to project details.
• Respond to requests for project documentation including project timelines, organization charts, contract details, and other technical documentation.
• Research potential vendors; assist with the development of Requests for Proposal; receive and process project documents and ensure they are complete, current and maintained appropriately.
• Establish and maintain systems for the identification and tracking of projects; monitor assigned activities and report progress as required.
• Establish and maintain a wide variety of filing and reporting systems; develop record keeping procedures; provide information to departmental staff and other departments as requested.
• Coordinate and assist in the development and administration of a department budget; prepare budget reports; compile annual budget requests; monitor and control expenditures; track and reconcile bills.
• Independently respond to letters, e-mail and general correspondence based on areas of assignment.
• Compile and develop information for special studies and reports from a variety of resources; assist with various special projects, including coordination, research and development of systems.
• Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other City employees and the public using principles of good customer service.
• Perform related work as required.
• Information technology service delivery.
• Project management methodologies.
• Pertinent local, State and Federal laws, codes, ordinances, City functions, policies, rules and regulations.
• General functions and objectives of municipal government.
• Modern office equipment and procedures.
• Principles of record keeping and reporting.
• English usage, spelling, punctuation and grammar; and arithmetic, basic mathematical
• calculations and statistics and statistical methods.
• Report writing techniques.
• Research methods and techniques.
• English usage, spelling, grammar and punctuation.
• Customer service principles.
• Perform technical duties in support of information technology project management.
• Intermittently review documents related to department operations; observe, identify and problem solve office operations and procedures; understand, interpret and explain department policies and procedures; explain operations and problem solve office issues for the public and with staff.
• On a continuous basis, sit at a desk. Intermittently twist and reach office equipment; write
• and use keyboard to communicate through written means; run errands; lift or carry weight of 10 pounds or less.
• Develop and implement various data collection and reporting systems.
• Collect, compile, analyze and present a variety of data in a meaningful way.
• Coordinate the development and monitoring of an assigned budget; project, track and reconcile expenses.
• Understand and translate department policies and practices; make sound decisions with solid problem solving methods.
• Perform independent research in carrying out technical duties.
• Compose professional quality correspondence and letters; write highly technical and detailed reports.
• Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Experience and Training
• Two years of responsible technical experience that involved supporting projects associated with the delivery of information technology services.
• Equivalent to an Associate’s degree from an accredited college or university in business administration, public administration, computer science, information systems, or a related field.
License or Certificate
• Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid California driver’s license.
1. Please describe your customer service philosophy including specific examples on how you utilize this philosophy to build trust and strong partnerships.
2. What business and technical skills have you gained or improved over the last year that will help you be successful in this position?
3. Describe your experience in working closely with customers to gather requirements, plan, implement, and maintain a system needed for their business.
4. Describe your experience in writing technical and/or business documents.
5. Please describe your experience managing technology projects. Provide details about the projects, including scope, budget, complexity, and results, as well as your role and responsibility.
6. Rate your communications skills on a scale of 1 to 10. Provide three examples to justify this rating.
Applications and responses to supplemental questionnaire will be screened to those most meeting the needs of the department. Those applicants may be invited to an oral interview exam (weighted 100%). Final appointment is contingent upon a check of past employment references, passing a City-paid pre-employment medical exam, a drug and alcohol screening test, and a fingerprint check.
For more information on our benefits, visit our website at http://www.roseville.ca.us/hr/benefits.asp. This position is in Local 39.