Close Date: Jun 6, 2014
Salary: $8,382.00 - $10,188.00 Monthly
T he City of Redwood City is currently accepting applications for entry level police officer candidates who will have successfully graduated from an accredited California P.O.S.T. academy and obtained a California P.O.S.T. Certificate before the time of their appointment to the position of police officer. The Redwood City Police Department offers many opportunities for learning and long-term career growth in a city comprised of diverse residential and business communities. The objective for every Redwood City police officer is to protect life and property, proactively reduce crime and the fear of crime through the use of data-driven policing models, with an overarching operational philosophy of community policing as part of their mission to maintain a safe and connected community. The Redwood City Police Department is looking for professionals who strive to provide “excellent service with integrity and respect.” Candidates with a demonstrated work history of high motivation and who have consistently strived for self-improvement are encouraged to apply.
VISION FOR THE FUTURE
The Redwood City Police Department strives to be a model law enforcement agency for others to emulate. We seek to develop and utilize the members of our organization to their fullest potential and encourage their professional growth. As a progressive police department, we seek to employ officers with a broad spectrum of experience, education, and experiences that will help us deliver superior police services to the valued members of our community. We recognize that excellent customer service, community partnerships and responsiveness to our communities’ needs are the foundation of superior police service.
- Successfully graduated from an accredited California P.O.S.T. approved basic academy before the time of appointment or possess a California P.O.S.T. basic certificate and wish to apply as an entry level officer.
- Completion of 30 semester units from an accredited college or university (60 units or more is preferred).
- Valid California Driver’s license and satisfactory driving record.
- Physically capable of passing the California P.O.S.T. medical examination job requirements.
- Meet all regulatory requirements for becoming a Peace Officer with a California P.O.S.T. agency.
An application, supplemental questionnaire, and POST certificate are required.
Applications may be obtained in one of the following ways:
1. Apply online at www.calopps.org Member City: Redwood City
2. Visit our web site @ www.redwoodcity.org to print the application form
3. Visit the City of Redwood City Department of Human Resources (Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm) at 1017 Middlefield Road, Redwood City, California 94063
Candidates with a disability who may require assistance in any phase of the application or selection process should advise the Department of Human Resources upon submittal of application.
All applications will be reviewed for neatness, accuracy, completion, relevant education, experience, training and other job related qualifications. Those meeting the stated qualifications and requirements for the position will be invited to participate in the testing process, which will consist of an oral board interview. The oral board interview process is held for the purpose of evaluating training, experience, and other job-related qualifications. Candidates successful in the oral board interview and written exercise will be placed on the eligibility list. Final appointment will be made by the Chief of Police. Candidates on the eligibility list will continue in the process as follows:
· An interview with a Police Captain and the Chief of Police.
· Favorable review of the personal history background check. Completion of personal history forms to assist in the background check.
· Successful completion of a Polygraph exam.
· Successful review of a fingerprint examination with no felony, domestic violence, or misdemeanor assault convictions. A conditional offer of employment will be made upon approval of the Chief of Police, contingent on the successful completion of pre-employment psychological testing and medical examination.
The City of Redwood City is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer!
· Public Employees Retirement System 2.7% @ 57 for new members or 3% @ 55 for current members.
· Opportunity to select from a variety of health plans that are administered by PERS under a cafeteria plan including health insurance, health care and dependent care reimbursement.
· Work a schedule of 4 days – 10 hour per day weekly, OR 3 days – 12 ½ hour per day weekly.
· Differential pay for swing shift and night shift.
· Educational Incentive for POST intermediate and advanced certificate.
· Differential pay for a variety of specialty assignments, including Field Training Officers, Detectives, Traffic Unit Officers, Canine Handlers, and officers assigned to C-CAT, PAL, and DARE.
· Differential pay for bilingual skills (English/Spanish).
· Fourteen paid holidays per year.
· Two to five weeks of vacation, depending on the years of service.
We are an exceptional organization and a leader in the Bay Area. The values that guide us are:
· EXCELLENCE: Passion to do our best in each moment.
· INTEGRITY: Do the right thing, not the easy thing.
· SERVICE: We care and it makes a difference.
· CREATIVITY: Freedom to imagine and courage to act.
The City of Redwood City is a great place to work!