Close Date: Oct 9, 2014
Salary: $18.88 - $22.94 Hourly
The Redwood City Public Library is looking for a community-centered, values-driven person who will deliver active and engaged customer service, with a focus on supporting self service and delivering a top-notch experience for each visitor of the library. The ideal candidate will work well with others to achieve goals in a fast-paced, innovative team environment. The candidate will be friendly, outgoing, enthusiastic, creative, technologically savvy and able to consistently provide superb service to a diverse community of library users. This position works 5-15 hours per week including nights and weekends, and may work additional hours as needed, at any of our library facilities – Redwood City-Dowtown Library, Fair Oaks Branch Library, Redwood Shores Branch Library and Schaberg Branch Library.
Typical duties may include, but are not limited to the following: Greet customers when entering and leaving the library; provide public service at all service points; assist customers with self checkouts and other self service needs; perform library services using new technologies; issue library cards to new customers; collect overdue fines; answer routine in-person and telephone information questions; explain library policies and resolve problems and complaints; assist customers with computer use; follow opening and closing procedures; assist in preparation and maintenance of displays of library materials; collect statistics; assist with preparing library materials for circulation; perform routine clerical assignments; and perform related duties as assigned.
This is a non-benefited casual position. A casual employee may not work more than 1000 hours per fiscal year.
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Education & Experience
A high school diploma or equivalent is required. Education equivalent to two years college is preferred. One year of recent experience performing customer service-related work in a library OR one year of recent experience working in another customer service position (for example, retail) is required. Three or more years of customer service experience is preferred. Bilingual ability (Spanish/English) is highly desirable.
· Customer service principles.
· General types and uses of library materials.
· Basic library terminology and services.
· Modern office procedures and methods.
· Basic mathematical principles.
· Provide excellent customer service in a friendly cooperative manner.
· Apply library policies tactfully and cooperatively with a diverse community, both staff and public.
· Be physically capable of moving throughout the library for up to 4 hours at a time, in a fast paced customer service environment.
· Communicate clearly, both orally and in writing.
· Perform basic troubleshooting and assist customers with computer use.
· Adapt to changing technology and physical environments.
· Work well as a proactive and innovative team member.
· Work independently and with direct supervision.
· Bilingual ability (Spanish/English) is highly desirable.
Must be physically capable of performing the essential job functions of this classification.
Applications may be obtained in one of the following ways:
1. Apply online at www.calopps.org, Member City: Redwood City
2. Visit our web site @ www.redwoodcity.org to print the application form
3. Call our 24-hour Job Hotline at (650) 780-7292.
Candidates with a disability, which may require special assistance in any phase of the application or selection process, should advise the Department of Human Resources upon submittal of application.
All applications will be reviewed for neatness, accuracy, completion, relevant education, experience, training and other job related qualifications. The most appropriately qualified applicants will be asked to participate in the testing process which will consist of an interview with Library Department staff. Prior to appointment, candidates will be required to pass a background check and/or a fingerprint check at no cost to the candidate. Final appointment will be made by the Library Director. The Immigration Act of 1986 requires proof of identity and eligibility for employment at date of hire.
The City of Redwood City is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer!
We are an exceptional organization and a leader in the Bay Area. The values that guide us are:
· EXCELLENCE: Passion to do our best in each moment.
· INTEGRITY: Do the right thing, not the easy thing.
· SERVICE: We care and it makes a difference.
· CREATIVITY: Freedom to imagine and courage to act.
The City of Redwood City is a great place to work!
Note: The provisions of this bulletin do not constitute an expressed or implied contract and any provisions contained in this bulletin may be modified or revoked without notice.