Close Date: Until Filled
Salary: $14.00 Hourly
hThe City of Redwood City is looking for energetic people interested in working with teens to organize and conduct educational and recreational activities, assist with homework, provide educational support, provide information regarding library materials, helping the teens with computer usage and questions, and build cooperative, supportive and trusting relationships with the youth visiting the Teen Center.
Typical duties include, but are not limited to the following: supervise and monitor teen center customers to ensure appropriate behavior and a healthy environment; lead a variety of educational and recreational activities such as arts and crafts, organized games, movies, sports, drama, and other educational related activities, such as music/singing activities; help students with homework needs; answer questions about locations of materials in library; maintain 2nd floor book collection and monitor behavior on the 2nd floor; prepare activity calendars, bulletin boards, lesson plans and/or coaching strategies as appropriate to help promote and plan educational and recreational activities effectively; assist in organizing, promoting, directing and staffing special events; assist with computer problems and questions; schedule, train and supervise teen volunteers; complete assigned paperwork and data entry, such as time cards, attendance reports, and/or incident reports; follow departmental and citywide rules and regulations as they relate to the supervision of educational and recreational activities participants and general work procedures; perform related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Hours may include any of the following shifts:
Monday – Thursday: 10:00am-9:00pm
Friday – Saturday 10:00am-5:00pm
This is a non-benefited casual position. A casual employee may not work more than 1000 hours per year.
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Education & Experience
Education equivalent to the completion of the 12th grade is required. Experience working with teens in an educational recreational setting is desirable.
· Leadership techniques
· Specialized educational and recreational activities
· Experience working with teens
· Plan, organize and conduct a wide variety of educational and recreational activities for a diverse group of teens.
· Develop and maintain supportive and trusting individual relationships with teens, and maintain positive harmonious relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
· Help with basic homework needs.
· Assist teens with minor computer or equipment problems
· Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
· Must be physically capable of performing the essential job functions of this classification.
Applications may be obtained in one of the following ways:
1. Apply online at www.calopps.org, Member City: Redwood City
2. Visit our web site @ www.redwoodcity.org to print the application form
3. Call our 24-hour Job Hotline at (650) 780-7292.
4. Visit the City of Redwood City Department of Human Resources (Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm) at 1017 Middlefield Road, Redwood City, California 94063
Candidates with a disability, which may require special assistance in any phase of the application or selection process, should advise the Department of Human Resources upon submittal of application.
All applications will be reviewed for neatness, accuracy, completion, relevant education, experience, training and other job related qualifications. The most qualified applicants will be asked to participate in the testing process which will consist of an interview with Library Department staff. Prior to appointment, candidates will be required to pass a background check including fingerprint check at no cost to the candidate. Final appointment will be made by the Library Director. The Immigration Act of 1986 requires proof of identity and eligibility for employment at date of hire.
The City of Redwood City is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer!
We are an exceptional organization and a leader in the Bay Area. The values that guide us are:
· EXCELLENCE: Passion to do our best in each moment.
· INTEGRITY: Do the right thing, not the easy thing.
· SERVICE: We care and it makes a difference.
· CREATIVITY: Freedom to imagine and courage to act.
The City of Redwood City is a great place to work!
Note: The provisions of this bulletin do not constitute an expressed or implied contract and any provisions contained in this bulletin may be modified or revoked without notice.