Close Date: Feb 18, 2015
Salary: $12.37 - $18.24 Hourly
The City of Redwood City is looking for people interested in working 20-25 hours per week in a variety of settings selected by the Parks, Recreation and Community Services Department. Our current openings are in the PE Plus program at Hawes, Selby Lane, Henry Ford, and Garfield. PE Plus coaches typically supervise K-5th grades participants and assist in conducting structured Health and Fitness activities. This position will report directly to the Recreation and Community Services Program Supervisor and will work Monday – Friday throughout the school year (August or September to June depending on site assignment). The PE Plus classes will be closed all school holidays and district wide teacher training days.
Typical duties may include, but are not limited to the following: plan, organize and teach physical fitness to youth, insuring that proper safety precautions are observed in assigned activities; supervise participants; maintain and care for equipment, prepare physical activity calendar, bulletin boards, lesson plans, and or coaching strategies as appropriate to help promote health and wellness activities effectively; help promote after school sports; report to supervisors orally and in writing complete assigned paperwork, such as time cards, attendance report and incident and accident reports; follow departmental and City wide rules and regulations as they relate to the supervision of PE Plus participants and general work procedures; perform related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
This is a non-benefited casual position. A casual employee may not work more than 1000 hours per year.
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Education & Experience
- Education equivalent to high school graduation required
- Completion of AA degree or health and fitness certification program is highly preferred
- Must be 18 years of age
- A passion for sports and fitness
- Ability to work effectively and develop a team environment
- Possession of or ability to obtain First Aid/CPR certification
- Physical Education California State standards
- Principles and practices of physical fitness and sports activities for youth
- Safe fitness practices and injury prevention
- Develop and implement effective program curriculum and content
- Plan, organize and conduct a wide variety of physical education activities for all age groups and genders
- Establish, maintain and foster positive and harmonious working relationships with those contacted in the course of work
- Engage children in physical fitness activities
- Organize people, supplies, and equipment
- Plan and schedule physical education activities
- Follow safety procedures
- Exercise good judgment, tact and courtesy
Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid California Driver’s license and satisfactory driving record may be required. Must be physically capable of performing the essential job functions of this classification.
Apply online at www.calopps.org, Member City: Redwood City
Candidates with a disability, which may require special assistance in any phase of the application or selection process, should advise the Department of Human Resources upon submittal of application.
All applications will be reviewed for neatness, accuracy, completion, relevant education, experience, training and other job related qualifications. The most qualified applicants will be asked to participate in the testing process which will consist of an interview with Parks, Recreation and Community Services Department staff. Prior to appointment, candidates will be required to pass a background check including fingerprint check, and TB screening at no cost to the candidate. Final appointment will be made by the Parks, Recreation and Community Services Director. The Immigration Act of 1986 requires proof of identity and eligibility for employment at date of hire.
The City of Redwood City is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer!
We are an exceptional organization and a leader in the Bay Area. The values that guide us are:
· EXCELLENCE: Passion to do our best in each moment.
· INTEGRITY: Do the right thing, not the easy thing.
· SERVICE: We care and it makes a difference.
· CREATIVITY: Freedom to imagine and courage to act.
The City of Redwood City is a great place to work!
Note: The provisions of this bulletin do not constitute an expressed or implied contract and any provisions contained in this bulletin may be modified or revoked without notice.