Close Date: Aug 11, 2014
Salary: $6,594.00 - $7,920.00 Monthly
The City of Redwood City invites you to apply for the position of HUMAN RESOURCES ANALYST II. This newly established position within the City’s Human Resources Division is an excellent opportunity for a motivated human resources generalist to provide professional and confidential support for a wide range of human resources functions, including recruitment and selection, employee development and training, and performance management. Under the supervision of a Senior Human Resources Analyst, the Human Resources Analyst will coordinate the City’s recruitment and selection procedures, working closely with management to design outreach strategies and appropriate selection tools and processes. He or she will also assist in planning, coordinating, and implementing a variety of employee development activities and programs. In addition, this position serves as the primary customer support for managers and employees for consultation on a wide range of policy and employee relations matters, and provide analytical assistance for labor relations functions such as contract administration and negotiations.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
Will embrace the City’s emphasis on excellent customer service; develop and maintain cooperative relationships with employees at all levels of the organization. He or she will be detail-oriented, and able to manage a variety of projects and tasks while working independently with minimal supervision. Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to handle sensitive situations with confidentiality, diplomacy, and tact are a must. The ideal candidate will also have a passion for public service and embrace innovative solutions for recruitment, retention, performance management and employee development.
Education & Experience
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
• Two years of professional experience as a human resources generalist. Experience in the public sector and/or collective bargaining environment is preferred.
• Equivalent to completion of four years of college or possession of a Bachelor degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in human resources, business administration, public administration or a related field. Additional experience as outlined above may be substituted for two years of education on a year-for-year basis.
• Principles and practices of human resources as related to recruitment and selection; employee development and training; and employee relations.
• Principles and techniques of effective customer service, including a business partner approach to human resources management.
• Mathematical principles related to data management, statistical analysis, and cost analysis.
• Applicable Federal, State, and local laws and regulations pertaining to employment and labor relations, particularly in the public sector.
• Software and web-based applications, including but not limited to Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook and other modern office technology methods and procedures.
• Interpret, apply and explain applicable rules, regulations, laws, policies and procedures.
• Write clear and concise announcements, reports, correspondence and other materials.
• Perform basic statistical analysis and conduct research studies.
• Collect, compile, summarize and maintain accurate records and files.
• Use initiative, independent judgment and problem solving within established procedural guidelines.
• Organize work, set priorities and meet critical deadlines.
• Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
• Establish, maintain and foster positive and harmonious working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
License or Certification:
• Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate valid California driver license.
A City Application and Supplemental Questionnaire are required. Apply online at www.calopps.org, Member City: Redwood City.
Candidates with a disability who may require special assistance in any phase of the application or selection process should advise the Human Resources Division upon submittal of application.
All applications will be reviewed for accuracy, completion, relevant education, experience, training and other job-related qualifications. Those who best meet the stated qualifications and requirements for the position will be invited to participate in the oral board interview, tentatively scheduled for the week of September 8, 2014. The specifics of the interview process will be communicated to those qualifying candidates. The results of the oral board interview will determine the applicant’s standing on the eligibility list. The Assistant City Manager may make the final appointment from the top three candidates on the eligibility list. Prior to appointment, candidates will be required to complete a background questionnaire and pass a background check at no cost to the candidate. The Immigration Act of 1986 requires proof of identity and eligibility for employment at date of hire.
The City of Redwood City is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer!
The successful candidate will enjoy the following benefits:
• Public Employees Retirement System (PERS) 2% at 60 plan for current members of CalPERS or reciprocal agencies, [email protected]
for new members
• Opportunity to select from a variety of health plans that are administered by PERS under a cafeteria plan including health insurance, health care and dependent care reimbursement
• Eligibility for retiree health contribution after 10 years of service
• Dental & vision insurance
• Employee Assistance Program
• Vacation at l0 days per year to 25 days after 20 years
• Sick leave of 12 days per year
• Fourteen paid holidays per year
NOTE: Earnings from this job are not covered under Social Security. When you retire you may receive a pension based on earnings from this job. If you do, your pension may affect the amount of Social Security benefits you may receive. For more information go to www.socialsecurity.gov/form1945
We are an exceptional organization and a leader in the Bay Area. The values that guide us are:
• EXCELLENCE: Passion to do our best in each moment.
• INTEGRITY: Do the right thing, not the easy thing.
• SERVICE: We care and it makes a difference.
• CREATIVITY: Freedom to imagine and courage to act.
THE CITY OF REDWOOD CITY IS A GREAT PLACE TO WORK!
Note: The provisions of this bulletin do not constitute an expressed or implied contract and any provisions contained in this bulletin may be modified or revoked without notice.