Close Date: Aug 12, 2014
Salary: $9,240.00 - $11,088.00 Monthly
The City of Redwood City invites you to apply for the position of senior civil engineer. The Senior Civil Engineer performs complicated engineering, planning, design, and review activities and exercises lead supervision over others as assigned. The work assigned may involve land development, public works, traffic, and/or building construction. Work of this class may involve the lead supervision of professional and technical personnel. Assignments are general and of a continuing nature, requiring the exercise of independent judgment and initiative in prioritizing, scheduling, assigning and coordinating the work. Senior Civil Engineers are also expected to perform the most complex professional engineering work requiring a substantial level of professional training and experience.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
Will embrace the City’s emphasis on excellent customer service; will be detail-oriented and able to manage multiple tasks and programs; have the ability to supervise support staff; will successfully perform work requiring analytical ability and be able to synthesize and summarize information; will use initiative and independent judgment; will be a team player who likes working with a variety of City staff and the public; have a sense of humor. Additionally, the applicant must demonstrate that she/he embodies the City’s Values and behaviors.
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Education & Experience:
A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in civil engineering or a related field, and possession of a Certificate of Registration as a Professional Engineer in the State of California. Four years responsible experience in public works engineering and/or construction. Experience in land development engineering. A valid California Driver’s License and satisfactory driving record is required.
· A broad range of the principles and practices of engineering, including utilities, permits, construction management,
budgeting & estimating.
· The Subdivision Map Act and current local, State, and Federal codes, rules and regulations related to development and construction
· Modern methods and techniques used in the design and construction of a variety of public works engineering projects.
· Modern developments, current literature and sources of information regarding the assigned area of engineering.
· City codes and ordinances pertaining to public works.
· Applicable laws and regulatory codes relevant to design and construction in the area of assignment.
· Principles of supervision, training, and performance evaluation.
· Facilitate and serve as a liaison for both staff and various City Committees and Commissions.
· Build and facilitate teams for both staff and various City Committees and Commissions.
· Operate modern office equipment including computer equipment and general office software.
· Make sound engineering judgment on complex engineering matters, computations and to check, design, and supervise
the construction of a wide variety of public and private facilities.
· Review, analyze and process private development and tentative map applications and determine Engineering Department conditions of approval
· Participate in the plan check, review and processing of plans for private development affecting City streets, sewers, drains and related Public Works facilities
· Assure compliance with appropriate codes, ordinances, rules and regulations
· Assist in the development and implementation of goals, policies, procedures and priorities
· Supervise, train, and evaluate professional and technical subordinates, and provide technical guidance to staff.
· Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing with the public and with private developers
· Establish, maintain and foster positive and harmonious working relationships with City Council and commissions, and teams contacted in the course of work. Manage individuals and teams within such an environment.
· Supervise outside consultants
Applications may be obtained in one of the following ways:
1. Apply online at www.calopps.org/viewagencyjob.cfm?ID=5526
2. Visit the City of Redwood City Department of Human Resources (Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm) at 1017 Middlefield Road, Redwood City, California 94063
Candidates with a disability who may require special assistance in any phase of the application or selection process should advise the Department of Human Resources upon submittal of application.
All applications will be reviewed for neatness, accuracy, completion, relevant education, experience, training and other job related qualifications. Those meeting the stated qualifications and requirements for the position will be invited to participate in the testing process, which will consist of an oral board interview. The results of the testing process will determine the applicant’s standing on the eligibility list. The Community Development Director will make the final appointment from the top three candidates on the eligibility list.
The City of Redwood City is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer!
The successful candidate will enjoy the following benefits:
· Public Employees Retirement System (PERS) 2% @ 60 plan for current members of CalPERS or reciprocal agencies, 2% @62 for new members.
· Opportunity to select from a variety of health plans that are administered by PERS under a cafeteria plan including health insurance, health care and dependent care reimbursement
· Dental & vision insurance
· Employee Assistance Program
· Vacation at l0 days per year to 25 days after 20 years
· Eligibility for retiree health contribution after 10 years of service
· Sick leave of 12 days per year
· Fourteen paid holidays per year
· Three days bereavement leave
We are an exceptional organization and a leader in the Bay Area. The values that guide us are:
· EXCELLENCE: Passion to do our best in each moment.
· INTEGRITY: Do the right thing, not the easy thing.
· SERVICE: We care and it makes a difference.
· CREATIVITY: Freedom to imagine and courage to act.
he City of Redwood City is a great place to work!