Close Date: Aug 14, 2014
Salary: $22.48 - $27.34 Hourly
The City of Redwood City is seeking a creative self-starter to fill the full time (40 hours per week) contract position of Recreation and Community Services Program Coordinator at Henry Ford School. Incumbent will implement an after school program, coordinate and direct a recreation program, and participate in the supervision of part-time employees and volunteers. Incumbent will work with school age kids between 6th-8th grade. The after school program includes academic enrichment, recreation, heath and wellness, community service, and family engagement components. While the City is serving as the lead agency, many other organizations, including the Redwood City School District, have agreed to support the project. Incumbent will receive direction and supervision from the City of Redwood City Youth and Teen Services Unit. The after school program is funded by the 21st Century grant.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Education & Experience
Education equivalent to a Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university with major work in recreation, education, public administration or related field is required; along with two years of increasingly responsible work experience in recreation, involving program supervision and planning, most specifically within the youth area; and significant knowledge of program implementation and experience working in a collaborative setting. Experience in after school programs and/or working with large groups of kids, and collaborating with various diverse agencies is a plus.
· Appropriate program content for a variety of specialized community recreation activities
· Acceptable safety standards and precautions for department programs
· K-8th California Academic State Standards
· Transfer to staff a clear vision about after school programs
· Comfortably lead/train staff with positive energy and enthusiasm
· Develop recreation and academic enrichment programs
· Understand and translate academic language into practice
· Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing, with parents, staff and school
· Carry out thorough problem solving, resolve conflict and maintain safe practices
· Read and interpret City, Department and Division policies and procedures
· Prepare and maintain a variety of records and reports as assigned
· Use a personal computer and basic computer software programs
· Establish, maintain and foster positive and harmonious working relationships with those contacted in the course of work
· Must possess a valid California driver license and satisfactory driving record
· Must be physically capable of performing the essential job functions of this classification.
A City application and supplemental questionnaire are required. Apply online at www.calopps.org, Member City: Redwood City
Candidates with a disability, which may require special assistance in any phase of the application or selection process, should advise the Human Resources Division upon submittal of application.
All applications and supporting materials will be reviewed for neatness, accuracy, completion, relevant education, experience, training and other job related qualifications. The most appropriately qualified applicants will be invited to participate in the testing process, which may consist of a role play exercise, oral board interview, and written exercise. The testing process is tentatively scheduled for Thursday, August 21, 2014. The specifics of the testing process will be provided to the selected candidates. Prior to appointment, candidates will be required to pass a background and fingerprint check, at no cost to the candidate. Also prior to appointment, candidates will be required to pass a physical examination, at no cost to the candidate. Final appointment will be made by the Parks, Recreation and Community Services Director. The Immigration Act of 1986 requires proof of identity and eligibility for employment at date of hire.
The City of Redwood City is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer!
The successful candidate will enjoy the following benefits:
· Public Employees Retirement System (PERS) 2% @ 60 plan for current members of CalPERS or reciprocal agencies, 2% @ 62 for new members
· Opportunity to select from a variety of health plans that are administered by PERS under a cafeteria plan including health insurance, health care and dependent care reimbursement
· Dental insurance
· State Disability Insurance
· Vacation at 80 hours per year
· Sick leave of 12 days per year
· 13 paid holidays per year
We are an exceptional organization and a leader in the Bay Area. The values that guide us are:
· EXCELLENCE: Passion to do our best in each moment.
· INTEGRITY: Do the right thing, not the easy thing.
· SERVICE: We care and it makes a difference.
· CREATIVITY: Freedom to imagine and courage to act.
The City of Redwood City is a great place to work!
Note: The provisions of this bulletin do not constitute an expressed or implied contract and any provisions contained in this bulletin may be modified or revoked without notice.