Close Date: Aug 25, 2014
Salary: $34.77 - $42.27 Hourly
The Redwood City Police Department is currently accepting applications for Per-Diem COMMUNICATIONS DISPATCHERS. This is an excellent opportunity for an experienced dispatcher seeking part-time employment with flexible hours. Using a sophisticated Computer Aided Dispatch terminal, the Communications Dispatcher receives emergency calls from within the public requesting police, fire, medical, or other emergency service; determine priority, and dispatch police, fire, ambulance, or other emergency units as necessary and in accordance with established procedures. Other responsibilities include, but are not limited to: Maintaining contact with all units on assignment and maintaining status and location of police field units and fire units; Monitoring emergency alarm boxes; Coordinating emergency calls and relay information and assistance requests involving other agencies; Entering, updating and retrieving information from networks relating to wanted persons, stolen property, vehicle registration, stolen vehicles and other information. Hours will vary depending on scheduling needs, and will be approximately 20-40 hours per month.
This is a non-benefited casual position. A casual employee may not work more than 1000 hours per fiscal year.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
Will embrace the City’s emphasis on excellent customer service; will be detail-oriented and able to manage multiple tasks; will have a strong work ethic and a track record of reliability and successful performance; will use initiative and independent judgment; will be a team player who likes working with a variety of City staff and the public and have a sense of humor.
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Education & Experience
Education equivalent to completion of the 12th grade and completion of a POST-certified Basic Dispatcher training course. Experience in public safety dispatch; one year experience or more is desirable. A valid California Driver’s License and satisfactory driving record is required.
· Standard radio & telephone communications receiving & transmitting equipment.
· Geographic features & streets of Redwood City.
· Public safety classification codes & computer commands.
· Standard broadcasting procedures & rules.
· Work various shifts as assigned, including weekends, holidays, and night shifts.
· Work under pressure, exercise good and independent judgment, and make sound decisions in emergency situations.
· Effectively communicate with, and elicit information from upset and irate citizens.
· Work with minimal supervision.
Applications may be obtained in one of the following ways:
1. Apply online at www.calopps.org; member city: Redwood City
2. Visit our web site @ www.redwoodcity.org to download an application
3. Call our 24-hour Job Hotline at (650) 780-729
Candidates with a disability who may require special assistance in any phase of the application or selection process should advise the Department of Human Resources upon submittal of application.
All applications will be reviewed for neatness, accuracy, completion, relevant education, experience, training and other job related qualifications. Those who best meet the stated qualifications and requirements for the position will be invited to participate in a departmental interview. If selected for further consideration, a complete and thorough background investigation will be conducted. Candidates will be subject to fingerprinting and photographs. Pre-employment physical and psychological exams will be conducted after a conditional offer of employment has been made.
The Immigration Act of 1986 requires proof of identity and eligibility for employment at date of hire.
The City of Redwood City is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer!
We are an exceptional organization and a leader in the Bay Area. The values that guide us are:
· EXCELLENCE: Passion to do our best in each moment.
· INTEGRITY: Do the right thing, not the easy thing.
· SERVICE: We care and it makes a difference.
· CREATIVITY: Freedom to imagine and courage to act.
The City of Redwood City is a great place to work!