City of Saratoga, South Bay
|For more info contact:
Close Date: Jan 19, 2007
Salary: $75,064.43 - $96,093.12 Annually
This is the advanced journey level class within the Planner series. This class is recognized above the journey level by the assignment of significant responsibility and possession of specialized knowledge, abilities, skills and experience. Employees at this level perform work requiring significant independent judgment. Positions of this level typically provide direct supervision to professional, technical and clerical staff. Positions in this class are flexibly staffed and are normally filled by advancement from the Associate Planner level.
Supervision Received and Exercised: Receives general direction from management personnel. May exercise direct supervision over professional, technical and clerical staff.
Duties may include, but are not limited to:
• Conduct studies and prepare reports related to mid-range and long-range planning projects.
• Evaluate and review complex development plans for compliance with policies, specifications and conditions of approval.
• Interpret zoning ordinances, development standards, city plans and policies regarding development for public inquiry.
• Process development applications and prepare Planning Commission reports.
• Represent the City in various public forums and agency meetings as assigned and in absence of Community Development Director, including Planning Commission meetings and City Council presentations as well as providing support to commissions and ad hoc groups.
• Prepare reports, including findings and recommendations for management, boards and commissions; prepare maps and other graphic representations. Establish and maintain appropriate files, and prepare correspondence as required.
• Provide public information to callers and visitors related to planning activities.
• Assist in plan preparation, coordination, monitoring and other activities related to federal, state, and local housing programs.
• Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other City employees and the public using principles of good customer service.
9/80 Schedule - Work 9 hours Monday through Thursday, 8 hours one Friday, off the next.
Holidays - The City of Saratoga observes thirteen paid holidays.
Annual Leave - The City of Saratoga provides all regular employees with paid annual leave, beginning with 176 hours for the first five years. In addition, on a fiscal year basis, exempt employees receive 20 hours of administrative leave.
Medical and Dental Insurance – 100% paid medical and 100% paid dental coverage for employees and their dependants or a cash allowance. Employees may choose among PERS health and Delta Dental plans.
Retirement - Retirement benefits are contracted through the California Public Employees Retirement System (PERS). City pays employees’ 7% contribution. City employees do not contribute to Social Security. New hires pay 1.45% Medicare tax.
Life Insurance and Long Term Disability - The City provides life and accidental death and dismemberment insurance, both with additional coverage available, and long-term disability benefits.
Employee Assistance Program - The City provides access to a program of confidential professional counseling to all regular employees.
Tuition Reimbursement - Reimbursement for qualifying coursework is available to all regular employees.
Please apply on-line by visiting www.calopps.org To download the City application, visit www.saratoga.ca.us
A fully completed application must be received by Friday January 19th, 2007. Cover letters and resumes are encouraged, but may not substitute for the application. Faxes and postmarks will not be accepted.
The most qualified candidates will be invited to an oral board interview. Candidates may be asked to demonstrate relevant knowledge by taking a written or performance exam as part of the testing process.
THE INFORMATION INCLUDED IN THIS ANNOUNCEMENT MAY BE CHANGED AT ANY TIME. THE INFORMATION DOES NOT CONSTITUTE EITHER AN EXPRESS OR IMPLIED CONTRACT.
THE CITY OF SARATOGA WILL MAKE REASONABLE EFFORTS IN THE SELECTION PROCESS TO ACCOMMODATE PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES. PLEASE ADVISE THE HR DEPARTMENT OF SUCH SPECIAL NEEDS AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION.
ALL EMPLOYEES HIRED BY THE CITY OF SARATOGA MUST BE LEGALLY AUTHORIZED TO WORK IN THE UNITED STATES AND WILL BE REQUIRED TO PRODUCE CERTAIN DOCUMENTS VERIFYING SUCH INFORMATION. EOE
• Principles and practices and trends of public planning. Maps, site plans, and architectural drawings.
• Laws, rules, and regulations pertaining to zoning and land use and CEQA.
• Research and investigative procedures. Statistical and research methods as applied to the collection, analysis, and presentation of planning data.
• Business correspondence, report writing, and English usage, spelling, punctuation and grammar. General knowledge of computers and computer software.
• Principles, objectives and procedures of development control.
• Handle a variety of complex assignments involving different analytical approaches.
• Train, assign, review, and evaluate subordinate personnel as assigned.
• Gather, analyze, and interpret a variety of complex, technical data.
• Provide project leadership. Function as a project leader on major current and advanced planning projects.
• Function as the Community Development Director when applicable.
• Make decisions approving minor projects over-the-counter and work independently on larger projects.
• Manage the HPC or CDBG.
• Review developments in the Hillside. Ability to calculate slope and grading amounts.
• Ability to review Geo technical reports, Arborist reports, and Traffic Engineer reports.
Education and Experience:
The successful candidate must have experience in consensus building, have General Plan management experience, be well organized and capable of balancing a multi-project workload, and have strong writing skills. The equivalent of a Bachelor’s degree in urban and regional planning, or related field and four years of professional planning experience, with two years at the Associate level or higher is also required. AICP certification and/or master’s degree are highly desired.
This job is closed