Close Date: Continuous
Salary: $5,556.10 - $6,753.47 Monthly
POLICE OFFICER (Lateral and Academy Graduate)
$32.05 - $38.96 hourly; $5,556- $6,753 monthly; $66,673 - $81,042 annually
THIS IS A CONTINUOUS RECRUITMENT AND MAY CLOSE WITHOUT NOTICE
UPON RECEIPT OF A SUFFICIENT NUMBER OF QUALIFIED APPLICATIONS.
Under the general supervision of the Police Sergeant or other higher level police personnel, performs the full array of calls for service from the public, patrols city streets and enforces Federal, State and local laws; demonstrates a full understanding of all applicable policies, procedures and work methods associated with assigned duties; occasionally assists in the training of less experienced police officers; performs a variety of other tasks in support of the City’s law enforcement efforts.
Education and/or Experience:
Any combination of education and experience that has provided the knowledge, abilities, and skills necessary for a Police Officer. A typical way of obtaining the required qualifications is to possess the equivalent to a high school diploma from an accredited U.S. High School or GED, and specialized training in policing.
Must possess a valid class C California driver license.
Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid and appropriate POST certificate.
Note: Specialized assignments may require specialized license or certificates, as determined by the department.
A suitable candidate for the Police Officer position will possess good communication and judgment skills; work effectively alone or on a team; maintain professionalism while dealing with the public and city employees; work outside in all weather conditions; effectively operate a vehicle at high speeds; effectively operate and use deadly weapons; and understand the objectives of and interpretation of Federal, State and local laws.
Knowledge of technical phases of crime prevention, investigation, identification, patrol, traffic control, juvenile delinquency control, record keeping; and care and custody of persons or property are highly desired.
POSITION SALARY AND BENEFITS offered by the City of Colton
- $66,673- $81,042 annually
- $1,100 monthly Cafeteria Plan to purchase medical, dental and vision insurances
- $50,000 Life Insurance Plan, plus additional $50,000 for participating in the City's Wellness Program
- POST certificate pay - up to 10% above base salary
- Educational Incentive Pay - up to 6% above base salary for completion of college degrees
- Uniform Maintenance Allowance - $70.00 per month, per fiscal year
- Shift Differential - 4% above base salary
- CalPERS Retirement - New hire employees with prior PERS membership are subject to a 3% @ 55 formula. New hires with no prior PERS membership are subject to the new PEPRA rate, 2.7% @ 57.
- Bilingual Pay - $100 per month for certified employees
- FTO Pay - $200 per month during training period
- Vacation, Sick and Holiday Leave time (includes vacation and sick buy-back programs)
Police Officers are represented by the Colton Police Officers Association (CPOA)