Close Date: Mar 17, 2017
Salary: $5,284.00 - $6,423.00 Monthly
MANAGEMENT OF EMERYVILLE SERVICES AUTHORITY (MESA)
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
- Is knowledgeable of the principles and practices of public agency finance and accounting payroll processes, auditing and reporting functions
- Is experienced in reviewing, verifying, coding, processing timesheets (electronic or manual) in preparing payroll for all City employees;
- Is experienced in processing, calculating, and maintaining records for new employee setups, overtime hours, human resources transactions, incentive and/or premium pay, retroactive pay, benefit withholdings, wage garnishments and final paychecks;
- Is able to interpret, apply, explain and ensure compliance with provisions of a union contract, personnel rules and regulations and applicable laws, codes and ordinances that apply to payroll and employee benefits;
- Is able to review, post, balance, reconcile and maintain accurate and confidential accounting and payroll records;
- Is able to operate modern office equipment, including computer equipment and specialized software application programs;
- Is able to set priorities and meet critical time guidelines
- Is able to use tact, initiative, prudence, and independent judgement within general policy, procedural, and legal guidelines;
- Is a team player with the ability to provide guidance and/or training to other staff on payroll processing policies and procedures and record keeping systems.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Candidates must have the equivalent to the completion of the twelfth (12th) grade supplemented by college-level coursework or specialized training in payroll, accounting, or a related field and three (3) years of experience that has included the maintenance, processing, and preparation of employee payroll and/or financial and accounting processing and record keeping. Experience with Sungard Finance Plus 5.0 Module is a plus. Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid California Class C Driver’s License by time of appointment is required.
Candidates must possess mobility to work in a standard office setting and use standard office equipment, including a computer, vision to read printed materials and a computer screen, hearing and speech to communicate in person and before groups, and over the telephone. Finger dexterity is needed to access, enter, and retrieve data using a computer keyboard or calculator and to operate standard office equipment. Must be able to lift, carry, push, and pull materials and objects weighing up to 25 pounds.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The MESA provides a competitive compensation and benefits package. Salary range is $5,284 to $6,423 monthly and the benefits include:
- Retirement: Classic Members—2% @ 60 (based on highest three consecutive years); the employee pays the 7% member contribution; New Members—2% @ 62 PERS Plan (based on highest three consecutive years); the employee pays the 6.5% member contribution; The agency does not participate in Social Security.
- Vacation: Employee accrues ten (10) working days per year. Maximum accrual of 2x annual accrual rate
- Holidays: Fourteen (14) paid holidays per year (inclusive of three (3) floating holidays).
- Sick Leave: Fifteen (15) days per year, with unlimited accumulation.
- Health & Welfare: Medical, Dental, and Vision care coverage paid by the agency (to a capped amount) for the employee and eligible dependents.
- Misc. Benefits: City provides life/AD&D, long-term disability (LTD) and employee assistance program benefits.
PROBATIONARY PERIOD/REPRESENTATION BENEFITS
The probationary period for new employees is nine (9) months which may be extended by an additional three (3) months. This position is represented by SEIU Local 1021.
THE SELECTION PROCESS
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, all applicants must submit a completed MESA application, a comprehensive résumé that outlines how you meet the characteristics of the ideal candidate, and a completed Supplemental Questionnaire online at www.calopps.org. (NOTE: paper applications will not be accepted.) You may also call the MESA Human Resources Department at (510) 596-4390 or visit the City’s website at www.emeryville.org for additional information.
The qualifications for each applicant will be reviewed and those applicants that demonstrate the best qualifications in relation to the requirements and the needs of the department will be scheduled to continue in the selection process. The selection process may include a written test, written exercise and/or a panel interview. Applicants are encouraged to review the City of Emeryville’s website (www.emeryville.org) to learn more about the Finance Department.
The successful candidate will be selected from the list of those determined by the selection process to be among the best qualified. The finalist will be subject to a comprehensive background check.
THE DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION OF THE APPLICATION, RESUME AND SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONNAIRE
5:00 PM FRIDAY, MARCH 3, 2017
The City and the MESA are Equal Opportunity Employers. All aspects of employment shall be without regard to sex, disability, race, political affiliation, religious creed, color, natural origin, or age. Reasonable accommodations will be made for disabled applicants to participate in the application and examination processes. Applicants needing special accommodations must contact Human Resources sufficiently in advance of the testing process to arrange for such accommodations. Please contact (510) 596-4300.