Close Date: Mar 24, 2017
Salary: $17.87 - $21.73 Hourly
PART-TIME RECREATION SPECIALIST
Recreation Services – Senior Center
$17.87 – $21.73 per hour
Applications will only be accepted online at CalOpps.org
FILING DEADLINE: Friday, March 24, 2017
NOTE: This is a part-time position and hours will not exceed an average of 19 hours per week.
Plan, organize, coordinate, and supervise a variety of recreation programs, activities, and special events for the Recreation Services Department. This part time position will be working with our Senior Center programs.
• Plan, organize, coordinate, and supervise a variety of recreation programs, activities, and special events.
• Recruit and oversee volunteers regarding resources for special events.
• Set-up furniture and equipment for classes, special events, and programs.
• Schedule and organize activities and special programs.
• Design flyers, posters, information packets, activity guides, and other related documents.
• Perform general maintenance and basic custodial work.
• Coordinate social functions and excursions.
• Perform a variety of office activities related to program functions.
• Maintain accurate records and reports.
• Answer inquiries from the public over the telephone and in person.
• Perform related duties as assigned.
• Safely lift and move items such as chairs, tables, and recreational equipment.
• Oversee the delivery of a variety of recreation programs and special events.
• Effectively supervise staff and volunteers in working with the general public.
• Prepare clear and concise and effective advertising materials and correspondence.
• Understand and follow oral and written directions and work independently with only occasional supervision.
• Maintain records and prepare reports and other written materials using a computer and applicable job-related software.
• Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of the work.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform he essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Position requires prolonged sitting, standing; walking; reaching, twisting, turning, kneeling, bending, squatting and stooping in the performance of daily activities. The position also requires grasping, repetitive hand movement and fine coordination. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, dependent upon the specific assignment. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
• Recreation programs and activities offered by the City.
• Recreation Department policies, procedures, department recreation philosophy.
• Basic CPR and First Aid.
• Recreation programs for all ages depending on program assigned.
• Safe work practices.
• Principles of supervision and training, modern office procedures.
• English usage, spelling, vocabulary, grammar, and punctuation.
• Basic principles of marketing and public relations.
• Standard office practices and procedures.
• Child and elder abuse reporting guidelines.
Education and Experience
Any combination equivalent to the education and experience likely to provide the required knowledge and abilities would be qualifying. A typical way to gain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Completion of some college level coursework in recreation, public administration, physical education, special education, or a related field.
Two years of responsible work experience in recreational and cultural program activities.
Possession of a valid California Class C driver’s license.
Must maintain and possess current and valid Basic CPR and First Aid Certificates.
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCESS
To be considered for this position, you are required to complete an application and supplemental questionnaire online at www.Calopps.org. All required application materials must be received by the final filing date.
PLEASE NOTE: CalOpps permits only one attachment to your application. If you have more than one item (i.e. résumé, certificates, licenses, transcripts, etc.), please scan all items into one .pdf file and attach that file to your application.
All completed application documents will be reviewed. An application submitted without complete information will not be considered. A screening committee will evaluate the qualifications of each applicant who has met the minimum requirements for the position. The highest-ranking applicants will be invited to continue in the selection process. Applicants meeting the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement in the process, and the decision of the screening committee is final. Applicants will be notified within 10 business days after the filing deadline as to the status of his/her application.
Questions about the application submittal process and selection process can be directed to Sally Ricci, Human Resources Assistant at [email protected] or 707-778-4534.
Candidates being considered for selection are subject to an interview, background investigation, and State of California Department of Justice fingerprint search of records. All statements made on application materials must be correct and will be subject to investigation and verification.
If you need special accommodation for any stage of the examination process, please visit the City’s website at http://cityofpetaluma.net/hr/forms.html and complete the Special Testing Accommodation Request Form. You may also contact Human Resources at (707) 778-4534 or via email at [email protected].
Accrued sick leave is provided in accordance with the Healthy Workplace Healthy Family Act of 2014 (AB 1522).
Note: This announcement is intended as a general descriptive recruitment guide and is subject to change. It does not constitute either an expressed or implied contract.
The City of Petaluma is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.