Close Date: Apr 27, 2017
Salary: $3,549.00 - $4,922.00 Monthly
The City of Half Moon Bay
Invites you to apply for the position of:
office assistant I $3,549 - $4,312 Monthly
office assistant II $4,051 - $4,922 Monthly
Why Consider The City of Half Moon Bay?
It’s simple: We are a dedicated team of professionals committed to providing exceptional service to the community we serve, and we want you to join us!
About Our Team
At the City of Half Moon Bay, you will work alongside a team of creative and highly motivated professionals, who on a daily basis contribute their talents and commitment in providing essential public services to our residents and businesses.
About The Position
We are seeking a highly motivated, highly skilled, innovative and enthusiastic individual to assist the City Clerk's office as an office assistant I or II with the City of Half Moon Bay. As a critical member of this team you’ll perform a variety of specialized, complex clerical work and records management. This is a limited term position ending by late November 2017.
You will report to the City Clerk. You will have the opportunity to work in a beautiful community and a tremendous opportunity to build and expand on the organizational and community success that has transformed the City over the past several years.
The City has embarked on a positive direction that requires progressive leadership from engaged, active and hands-on staff members, with a track record of developing and maintaining strong relationships with all stakeholders that provide creative and timely solutions to priorities, projects and services.
What You Will Do
- Request and retrieve records and file boxes from the City's off site and on site records storage.
- Create an inventory of all City records.
- Organize and inventory all file boxes.
- Utilize the City's records retention schedule to mark any files past retention.
- Organize and file inventoried files in appropriate locations.
- Participate in various records management trainings as provided.
What You Bring
Sufficient education and experience to satisfactorily perform the duties of this classification. Knowing that any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities would be qualifying. Such as:
office assistant I
- Some general clerical experience is desirable.
- Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade. Additional specialized clerical training is desirable.
- Valid class C California Driver's license.
- English usage, spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
- Business letter writing and basic report preparation.
- Type at speed necessary for adequate job performance.
- Perform routine clerical work.
- Learn to operate modern office machines and learn office methods, rules and policies including receptionist techniques.
- Understand and carry out oral and written directions.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
office assistant II
In addition to the qualifications for office assistant I:
- One year of general clerical experience including public contact comparable to that of an office assistant I in the City of Half Moon Bay.
- Organization, procedures and operating details of City governments.
- Modern office methods, practices, procedures and computer equipment.
- Principles and procedures of record keeping.
- Basic work processing methods, techniques and programs.
- Perform general clerical work including maintenance of appropriate records and compiling information for reports.
- Learn and correctly interpret and apply the policies and procedures of the function to which assigned.
- Work courteously with the general public on the telephone or in person.
- Operate a variety of office equipment including a word processor and/or computer terminal.
- Understand and carry out oral and written directions.
- Perform simple mathematical calculations.
Who You Are
- Highly organized and detail oriented.
- Strong communicator with excellent writing and interpersonal skills.
- Innovative problem solver who thinks outside the box.
- Individual who is self-motivated, team oriented, reliable and able to thrive in a fast-paced, teamwork environment.
- Work independently and prioritize assignments in order to meet targeted deadlines
This position requires prolonged sitting, standing, walking, reaching, twisting, turning, kneeling, bending, squatting and stooping in the performance of daily activities. The position also requires grasping, repetitive hand movement and fine coordination in using a computer keyboard. Additionally, the position requires near vision in reading correspondence, statistical data and using a computer, and acute hearing is required when providing phone service and communication in person. The need to lift, drag and push files, computer reports or other materials weighing up to 25 pounds also is required.
Working in an office environment is required in this position. The incumbent must travel to and from work site and to meetings during assigned hours of work. Specific duties and responsibilities may result in evening or late hours of work.
Will be a highly motivated, highly skilled, innovative and enthusiastic individual with
- One (1) year of experience in records retention or general clerical work;
- a valid California class C Driver's License; and
- The ability to pass a background screen.
Retirement: PERS Classic employee receives 2% at 55; single highest year and PEPRA employee receives 2% at 62, with highest 3 years average. Classic employees pay 7% employee contribution and PEPRA employees pay half the normal costs (currently 6.5%). The City of Half Moon Bay does not participate in Social Security, except the required Medicare.
Health Insurance: Employee can choose from medical plans provided through CalPERS. Dental Insurance is available through Delta Dental and Vision coverage is available through VSP. The City will pay the MINIMUM employer contribution required under PEMHCA and an allowance of $1,800 per month, which can be used for medical premiums. Any unused portion may be taken as additional compensation.
Dental and Vision premiums are paid by the employer up to family coverage.
Other Insurance: The City provides a long-term disability coverage equal to 2/3 of monthly salary to a maximum of $6,000.
Life Insurance: City provides $75,000 coverage.
Holidays: 14 paid holidays per year.
Sick Leave: Accrual at the rate of 12 days per year.
Education Incentive: $1,500 annually for eligible expenses upon approval. Deferred Compensation: Voluntary participation in ICMA or CalPERS 457 plans are available.