This Recruitment is open to City of Roseville Employees Only
Close Date: Dec 10, 2012
Salary: $7,125.00 - $9,549.00 Monthly
FINAL FILING DATE: Qualified and Regular City Employees should submit an application no later than 5:00 p.m., Monday, December 10, 2012. Temporary City employees are not eligible to apply.
TENTATIVE INTERVIEW DATE: January 17, 2013
SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONNAIRE: IT IS MANDATORY THAT YOU COMPLETE THE SUPPLEMENTAL APPLICATION. YOUR APPLICATION WILL BE REJECTED IF YOU DO NOT PROVIDE ALL NECESSARY INFORMATION.
The Human Resources Department is accepting applications for the position of Billing Services Manager to work in the Finance Department. The normal work schedule will be Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. A flex schedule may be available.
To plan, organize, direct, and coordinate the activities of the Utilities Division within the Finance Department including electric, solid waste, wastewater and water utility billing and collections, field services, customer service, and licensing activities; to coordinate utilities activities with other divisions and departments; and to provide highly complex staff assistance to the Assistant Finance Director.
SUPERVISION EXERCISED AND RECEIVED
Receives general direction from the Assistant Finance Director.
Exercises direct supervision over assigned supervisory, technical, and support staff.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES - Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Develop and implement divisional goals, objectives, policies and procedures.
• Plan, organize, and direct electric, water, wastewater, and solid waste utility billing, revenue protection, meter reading, field services, customer service, and animal and business licensing activities.
• Direct, oversee and participate in the development of the Utilities Division work plan; assign work activities, projects and programs; monitor work flow; review and evaluate work products, methods and procedures.
• Prepare the Utilities Division budget; assist in budget implementation; participate in the forecast of additional funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials, supplies, and services; administer the approved budget.
• Recommend the appointment of personnel; provide or coordinate staff training; conduct performance evaluations; implement discipline procedures as required; maintain discipline and high standards necessary for the efficient and professional operation of the department.
• Oversee and manage the City’s electric, water, wastewater and solid waste billing/collections and related customer service activities as provided through call-center, front counter and field functions; ensure timely and accurate billing/collection and recording of revenues, resolution of delinquent accounts, and operation of an on-line billing/payment system.
• Oversee field services operations to ensure accurate meter readings, revenue protection, customer transitions and reporting and timely completion of related field customer service requests.
• Oversee implementation of new programs and services, including new technology; create and publish Requests for Proposals; manage RFP process, including vendor contract negotiations.
• Manage external vendor contracts; ensure vendors complete work and resolve issues in a timely manner.
• Oversee business licensing and animal licensing activities; ensure efficient and effective processing of licenses and related customer service and accurate billing/collection functions.
• Ensure timely implementation of utility rate changes including technical support to affected City departments and divisions and provide up-to-date reports related to billing and collections.
• Represent the division and department to outside agencies and organizations; participate in outside community and professional groups and committees; provide technical assistance as necessary.
• Research and prepare technical and administrative reports; prepare written correspondence.
• Serve as Project Manager defining the project’s objectives and oversee quality control throughout the project’s life cycle including planning, executing, and finalizing projects according to strict deadlines and budget limits which involves acquiring resources and coordinating the efforts of team members and third-party contractors or consultants in order to deliver projects according to plan.
• Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other City employees and the public using principles of good customer service.
• Perform related duties as assigned.
• Principles and practices of modern automated utility billing/collections and reporting systems.
• CIS Systems and standard interfacing.
• Customer service practices and techniques as applied to call-center, public counter, and field interactions.
• Principles and practices of leadership, project management, motivation, team building and conflict resolution.
• Pertinent local, State and Federal rules, regulations and laws.
• Modern office procedures and computer equipment.
• Principles and practices of organizational analysis and management.
• Principles and practices of supervision, training, and personnel management.
• Organize and implement Utilities Division activities related to utilities billing/collections, and related customer service.
• On a continuous basis, analyze budget and technical reports; interpret and evaluate staff reports; know laws, regulations and codes; observe performance and evaluate staff; problem solve department related issues; remember various rules and procedures; and explain and interpret policy.
• On a continuous basis, sit at desk and in meetings for long periods of time. Intermittently twist to reach equipment surrounding desk; perform simple grasping and fine manipulation; use telephone, and write or use keyboard to communicate through written means; and lift or carry weight of 10 pounds or less.
• Use a sophisticated computerized reporting system to create reports, review, and analyze billing payment/ collection activities; make recommendations for changes to the reporting system.
• Perform the most complex work of the department.
• Analyze problems, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions and implement recommendations in support of goals.
• Gain cooperation through discussion and persuasion.
• Interpret and apply City and department policies, procedures, rules and regulations.
• Prepare and administer a budget.
• Supervise, train, and evaluate personnel.
• Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Experience and Training
• Five years of increasingly responsible experience in utility billing and related customer service, including two years of supervisory responsibility.
• Equivalent to a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in finance, accounting, public administration, business administration, or a related field.
License or Certificate
• Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid California driver’s license.
1. Why are you applying for this position and how does it fit into your career objectives?
2. An essential function of this position is planning, organizing, budgeting, and directing the work of a multi-disciplinary department. Discuss your management philosophy and experience in each of these management elements.
3. Briefly describe the breadth and depth of your experience in these areas as they relate to financial management in a business environment.
• Automated billing software/systems
• Budget Preparation/Administration
• Utility Accounting
• Project Management
4. What is the role of Customer Service in Utility billing? Who are our customers?
5. Creating a strong sense of teamwork is an important goal for the Utility division. What have you done to develop cooperation and collaboration in your team? How do you see yourself contributing to this goal in the Utilities?
The selection process will be determined by the number of qualified applicants and may include a written, oral, or practical examination.