AC Transit is currently seeking experienced candidates for the position of Payroll Administrator. The Payroll Administrator provides supervision over the operations and services of technical and clerical payroll support staff to ensure timely and accurate payment to the District's employees and retirees; participates in the daily operations and activities of the payroll function in the Finance Department, including all phases of the payroll processing, payroll recordkeeping, and various payroll related reporting activities. This position is distinguished from the Payroll Manager in that the latter has overall management responsibility of the unit, and has the ultimate decision- making authority related to the direction, and operation of the unit, while this position assists in the determination of the direction but is primarily responsible for its implementation and day-to-day supervision of the unit's functions, activities, and staff.
This is a wonderful opportunity for career growth and an opportunity to work at one of largest bus agencies in California. In addition to being a premier public transit agency, AC Transit has excellent benefits that include pension, medical, dental, vision, vacation, sick leave and 457 deferred compensation.
- Plans, organizes, assigns, supervises, and reviews the day-to-day payroll operations and activities to assure District employees are paid in an accurate and timely manner; oversees the processing of payroll-related forms and applications; reviews, edits, approves and processes the District's payroll runs; assures payroll activities comply with established laws, codes, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Participates in the selection, supervision, training, motivation, evaluation and discipline of assigned staff and ensures the development of staff skills and competencies; documents, tracks and schedules the ongoing training of assigned staff to ensure that they are able to maintain proficiency with evolving job requirements; ensures the provision of a high performing team.
- Participates in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies, and priorities for payroll services and programs; identifies resource needs; recommends and implements policies and procedures, develops standard operating procedures for the payroll department; identifies opportunities for improving service delivery; reviews with appropriate management staff; implements improvements after approval.
- Assists and provides input to the Payroll Manager in the development, administration, and oversight of assigned budget.
- Coordinates assigned services, projects, and activities with other departments and outside agencies.
- Participates in completion of third party and payroll general ledger account reconciliations, analyzes transactions, identifies errors, makes necessary corrections and presents data in a user-friendly format.
- Ensures third-party remittance and postings to financial records are completed in a timely and accurate manner.
- Performs Time and Labor, and Payroll troubleshooting, and support activities, including resolving configuration-related time exceptions; coordinating resolution of audit discrepancies, supporting supervisors and managers in troubleshooting process issues and resolving time exceptions.
- Assists in performing a variety of system set-up, configuration and maintenance activities including performing audits of the payable time and exceptions; maintain and monitor the time and labor system set-up tables and resolve issues.
- Reviews payroll computations to ensure accuracy and compliance with state and federal tax regulations.
- Assists in assembling materials, analyzing, and preparing PBC's ("prepared by client") schedules per auditor request and specifications.
- Creates and provides various queries, necessary for the creation of financial reports on an ad-hoc basis by extracting, compiling, analyzing, and formatting financial data.
- Implementation of new systems or system enhancements, including coordinating with affected departments.
- Attends and participates in professional group meetings and committees; stays abreast of new trends and innovations in the field of payroll processing and time reporting, stays abreast of federal, state, and local regulations and related to wage and hour laws to ensure the District's compliance.
- Maintains and audits control logs for check disbursements.
- May act in the role, and assume the responsibilities of the Payroll Manager in his/her absence.
- Performs related duties as required.
Education: Equivalent to a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in accounting, finance, business administration, or a related field.
Experience: Four (4) years of recent and verifiable professional payroll experience or related field and one (1) year experience in a supervisory/lead capacity.
Physical Requirements: Must maintain the physical condition necessary to perform tasks in an office setting and operate computers, keyboards, and other peripheral equipment.
THIS POSITION IS AN UNREPRESENTED POSITION
To apply, visit: https://apptrkr.com/1615168
The Selection Process: The Human Resources department must receive a completed online application by the filling date. If this recruitment is "Continuous," it may be closed at any time without notice. Applications will be screened for job-related qualifications, and those candidates who best meeting the qualifications listed on this Job Announcement will be invited to participate in an examination process that may include written, oral and/or performance segments. Current District employees must have satisfactory attendance and performance records. Finalists will be placed on an Eligibility List. When filling vacancies, the Human Resources Department will refer the top candidates to the hiring department for final screening and recommendation. Per Board Policy, selected candidates may require background checks performed on their criminal and/or financial records.
Benefits: All employees hired on or after January 1, 2016, may be in the District's Tier II pension plan covered by the Public Employees' Pension Reform Act of 2013 (PEPRA). As such, he/she may be required to contribute 6% or more of annual income towards the cost of his/hers District pension.
ADA Compliant and Drug-Free Workplace: The Human Resources Department will make reasonable efforts in the recruitment/examination process to accommodate applicants with disabilities. If you have a need for an accommodation, please call Human Resources at (510) 891-4783.
The Alameda-Contra Costa Transit District has established the goal of a 100 percent drug and alcohol-free workplace. Applicants will be required to undergo drug and alcohol testing prior to employment and those in safety sensitive positions will be subject to further drug and alcohol testing through their period of employment, including random drug and alcohol testing.