The City of Albany is currently recruiting to create an eligibility list for the positon of Human Resources Technician. This is a new position in the Human Resources Department that is anticipated to be approved in the FY 18/19 budget.
The HR Technician performs a variety of responsible paraprofessional, technical, and office administrative human resources support functions, including the planning and coordination of recruitment, testing, selection, training, benefits and employee relations programs, salary administration, insurance and benefit programs, and employee training and orientation; prepares, reviews, and distributes human resources information systems records; proctors written, interview, and performance examinations; coordinates training; coordinates employee benefits; provides information to the public and employees regarding rules, laws and regulations; provides responsible technical and clerical support to the Human Resources Director; assists in completing various human resources studies and reports; and performs related work as required.
The Ideal Human Resources Technician
- Is resourceful by nature and enjoys helping others.
- Shows empathy, compassion, and kindness.
- Is able to handle sensitive and confidential information with professionalism and tact.
- Can prioritize multiple tasks with competing deadlines.
Examples of Job Duties
- Plans and coordinates all aspects of the recruitment and selection of employees; advertises, posts and emails job bulletins and announcements; reviews applications and qualifies candidates; schedules and proctors written exams; coordinates oral board interviews, including obtaining raters for selection panels; preparing event sites; assisting in developing interview questions.
- Communicates with and provides information to candidates during all phases of the selection process.
- Processes employee pre-placement physical examination paperwork.
- Establishes and maintains employee personnel, confidential, recruitment, benefits and volunteer files.
- Coordinates background check process for required classifications; verifies Department of Justice applicant clearance.
- Processes payroll change forms involving salary increases, changes, terminations, resignations, promotions, and retirements.
Processes, updates and monitors employee benefits programs and changes that include plans such as retirement, long-term disability, health, life, dental, vision, employee assistance program, and State and Federal Leave Acts.
Maintains applicant tracking database; answers questions regarding open positions, application procedures, employment procedures salary administration practices; responds to requests for employment verification and salary surveys.
Enters and processes worker's compensation claims; communicates with claimants, supervisors and vendor; responds to questions; provides follow up information to vendor as needed.
Administers and processes I-9 program, including issuing forms to new employees, verifying eligibility of employment, completing and signing off on forms, and maintaining accurate files.
Conducts and coordinates orientations for newly hired employees and answers employee questions regarding benefits, rules and regulations, open enrollment periods, and other information regarding employee benefits; photographs and creates employee identification cards.
Responds to employee and retiree questions and complaints and may interface with medical insurance providers and insurance representatives.
Interprets and applies Federal, State, and local laws and regulations relating to human resources programs.
Develops forms and procedural guides; Prepares employee handbooks.
Coordinates special human resources projects and programs including training programs, open enrollment, and related events; coordinates and integrates program services and activities with City departments.
Provides general administrative support to the Human Resources Director, including preparing correspondence, memoranda, and reports independently and by transcription, performing data entry, and maintaining schedules and records.
Organizes and maintains various administrative, confidential, reference, and follow-up files; assists in the scheduling, entering and maintenance of Records Retention files.
Operates standard office equipment, including job-related computer hardware and software applications, facsimile equipment, and multi-line telephones.
Develops and maintains training calendar; register trainees; prepare event sites; research and analyze needs and develop training programs.
Maintains personnel records and other files.
Issues purchase orders and process bills and invoices for payment.
Provides research support in negotiation contracts.
Performs related duties as assigned.
The City's excellent benefits package includes:
- CalPERS Classic Members (employees hired on or after January 1, 2013, and defined as “classic” PERS members) participate in a 2% @ 60 retirement formula.
- New CalPERS Members as defined by PEPRA (employees new to PERS or with greater than 6 months gap in service with PERS) participate in a 2% @ 62 formula.
- This position participates in Social Security.
- 9 CalPERS Health Plans to choose from. Employer-paid family health insurance up to the Bay Area Kaiser premium rate.
- Deferred compensation in-lieu of health insurance at Kaiser single rate for employees choosing to opt out by providing proof of outside coverage.
Dental, Orthodontia, Life Insurance, and Disability
- Employer paid dental insurance through Delta Dental
- Supplemental Orthodontia reimbursement plan
- Employer paid life insurance in the amount of $50,000
- Employer paid long-term disability insurance
Other Optional Benefits
- Vision Insurance (VSP) - with competitive rates
- Section 457 deferred compensation program, administered through ICMA
- Section 125 flexible spending benefits plan for health care and dependent care expenses
- Commuter Checks
- 11 days of vacation per year (increases with years of service)
- 13 days of holiday pay per year
- 12 days of sick leave per year
Any combination of training and experience that would provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required qualifications would be:
- Equivalent to an Associate of Arts degree in human resources management, business, human development, or a related field; and
- Two years of technical human resources or office support experience.
Interested individuals are encouraged to apply online today! Your completed application materials should include a cover letter outlining your interest in this position and any relevant experience you have that qualifies you as a stellar candidate, and your comprehensive resume. Applicants who meet the minimum requirements will be invited to participate in the selection process which is tentatively scheduled as follows:
- Deadline to Submit Application: April 30, 2018 at 5:00 PM
- Written Exam: May 22, 2018
- Oral Board Interview: June 21, 2018
The information contained in this Employment Opportunity flyer is subject to change and does not constitute either an expressed or implied contract. The City of Albany is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against race, color, gender, gender identity, religion, national origin, age, sex origin or disability. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, should special accommodations be necessary at any stage of the selection process, please contact the Human Resources Director at (510) 528-5714.